The northridge earthquake | Teen Ink

The northridge earthquake

By Bryan11b BRONZE, Pacoima, California
Bryan11b BRONZE, Pacoima, California

The Northridge Earthquake Growing up as a kid, I didn't really know how hard life was back in Mexico for my parents. The struggle in migrating to the United States it was for them. I didn't really realize what they went through just to give me my brother and my sister what we have today. But I always had thoughts on what they went through because the stories my mom and dad will tell us when we would not appreciate what we had in life. And that is why I came to realize to know more about my parents growing up and what difficulties they have been through and have faced. As I grew older I came to be more mature and appreciate what I had in life and how grateful I was in having everything because of my parents. Earthquakes are prone in the state of California and I learned about the 1994 earthquake in Northridge. I knew my that my parents were part of that earthquake, but I never got to ask them how it was to witness such a drastic and horrible event until interviewing them about it. My parents that barely settled in the new apartment complex they called home after my dad being deported in the year of 1993 and after coming back in 1994 with my mom that was pregnant.”Nestor wasn't born yet, i was 7 months pregnant”. I mean I heard stories about the 1986 earthquake in San Francisco and also the 1994 earthquake in Northridge but I never knew it was one of the scariest earthquake my parents went through and witnessed. My dad barely settling in with my mom having two months living in the apartment called Saticoy regency. Coming to realize that family is far from where they lived and they were on their own in this situation. Also being in the middle of winter for them to have been through this was hard and challenging with my mom pregnant. As my dad said “ We never expected for this to happen because we had little time living here”. The words my parents telling me when I was interviewing them and me feeling the terror that they went through really got to me. My parents not knowing what was happening in the moment because they were asleep, until it was too late to react. “We were asleep, which made us jump out of bed” my dad was scared “ i wanted to run..we actually ran out of how scared we were” said my dad. My parents were living in the Saticoy Regency apartment complex when the earthquake occurred and they were telling me how scary it was because ”All the people were screaming, crying about how scared they were” and also “The Building fell where we were living at” . My parents told me that all the stuff inside the apartment fell and the left side of the building fell and the noise it made when everything was falling to the left when there were people sleeping and got them from surprise. After the earthquake occurred the night fell long ”It felt as if daytime didn't exist and it was the end of the world”. They told me how it was hard because they had no type of communication with family because the telephone poles were unavailable and also the nights were cold since it was in the middle of winter. Finding food was a struggle because they weren't allowed to go back to the apartment to get food. Until they finally got a reach of my aunts which brought them where they were. ”We went to San Fernando park where they would give us free food.. Mcdonalds was the one providing it”. My dad was telling me how he did not imagine the American dream to be pictured like this. ”We wanted to move back to Mexico because of how frantic it was living on a state prone to earthquakes”