The Real Me | Teen Ink

The Real Me

September 8, 2014
By poojasree45 GOLD, San Ramon, California
poojasree45 GOLD, San Ramon, California
13 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"Thats the thing about pain, it demands to be felt."


Prom is a big deal for most of the girls living in America. I am one of those girls. I went dress shopping with my friends a few days ago and just like in all the movies, I found the one. The dress that made me feel like a princess. The one that made me feel like it would be the best night of my life. The one that made me think I had a chance at making an impression.

Now it is the day of prom and I am getting my makeup done from a lady at Bobbi Brown. Once she was done, I looked in the mirror and gasped at what I saw. I saw a girl with perfect skin, sharp eyes and liveliness to her face that only existed in the movies. My coral dress swept the floor and the jewels on the waistline glimmered in the fluorescent lighting of the store. Looking in the mirror I saw someone who wasn’t me. I was the girl with the glasses, who liked reading and would rather stay home than go to the football game. The one who always aced her tests. That girl was me. Who was standing in front of me? A superficial and fake version of me. One who looked perfect and acted perfect but was in fact as far away from perfect as one could get. But that was what made me who I am, and I am proud of myself for finally understanding that.