losing a piece of your soul creates pain, a pain no on can take from you. | Teen Ink

losing a piece of your soul creates pain, a pain no on can take from you.

September 3, 2014
By Anonymous

I walked up to my door and leaned over the side. I whistled and clapped my hands. For a moment, it was silent. Then a joyful bark and the sound of paws clicking down the driveway caught my attention. "Here Jax!" i yelled excitedly. My dog barked happily and wagged his tail. I jumped down and pet his head. I heard my mom call, so i kissed him on the head and ran inside. His anxious whining made me laugh. Just before dinner, i snuck outside and blew a couple of bubbles for him. He jumped up and down, biting the bubbles and barking triumphantly when he popped one. I laughed again and went inside.

 

"Honey, come heer a second." my dad said. I walked over to him and plopped into the chair, "Yeah?" My dad sighed and rubbed his legs, "Well, the vetrenarian just told us that Jax has hip displasia and a heart tumor, as well as a brain tumor." I stared at him blankly, "Wh, what?" My dad ran his hand through his hair, "We dont know how long he has to live." I felt tears well up in my eyes and turned away. I roughly wiped my tear with my hands and walked back to my room. Why Jax? Out of all the dogs in the world, why him? I flopped onto my bed and stared at the ceiling. The fan swirrled overhead and all i could think of when i watching was Jax, Jax, Jax, Jax.

 

 I went to school, my throat dry and my hands sweaty. How long did Jax have until he died? Maybe a year? A month? A week? I couldn't pay attention in class all day, and was even lectured by most of my teachers about attention and focus. I waited for my mom at the curb and sighed. "I'm sure Jax is fine, he's a German Shepard for gosh sakes!" My mom pulled up. I climbed into the car and looked at my mom. A forced smiled lay on her lips and her hands gripped the wheel uneasily. "Mim, are you ok?" i asked. She nondded vigorously, "Fine, fine." I tilted my head and shrugged. We got home and i clapped and whistled for Jax. But this time, my dog did not come. I was confused for a moment, then remebered my mom saying that he was at the vets. So left it alone and went to do my homework

 

I jumped out of the car the next day and raced to the driveway. I clapped and whistled again, but my German Shepard did not come. I was very confused. I thought that he'd be home by now. Evadently, i was wrong. I walked inside and closed my bedroom door. What happened to him? Could it be..... "No", i told myself, "They'd have told me by now. I smiled and got some coke. I was wrong Jax was fine and everything was great.

 

The next day, I clapped for Jax, and still, nothing. I got suspisious. "Mom, dad where's Jax?" My parents looked solem, "Honey, come into our room."

 

I ran, screaming from their room, "NO! NO< IT'S NOT TRUE! YOU'RE LYING!" I sprinted into my room and locked the door. I Flung myself on the bed and sobbed. My dog was gone. Inexplicably dead. Lost forever. "Why? Why my dog? WHAT DID HE EVER DO!" i yelled to no one, "Why didn't they tell me!? Why couldn't i know they day they did it!?" I sobbed until no more salt water flowed throw my eyes. So i stared at the ceiling for hours, possibly days, refusing to get up. My mom came in and tried to sooth me, but i said nothing. My dad asked, "Honey, is there anything we can get you?" I turned and faced him, "I want my dog Dad, i want my dog." My dad sighed and walked out. I cried some more and felt my life end. But one day, i felt the urge to get out of bed. So i did and i walked around the house. I felt better, but the scar of Jax's death had marked my soul forever. But i knew that someday, I would somehow see my dog once more, and to this day, i cling onto that belief.


The author's comments:


I was inspired to write this because it was a huge turning point in my life. I hope that if this is marked as an outstanding editors reda, that many people that have lost a pet very close to them, that they find comfort in this article.