My Diagnosis | Teen Ink

My Diagnosis

August 13, 2014
By Ellieann BRONZE, San Clemente, California
Ellieann BRONZE, San Clemente, California
2 articles 1 photo 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Dancing with feet is one thing, but dancing with the heart is another


I was recently diagnosed with Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis, which is a disease, in which progressive neurodegenerative disease that affects nerve cells in the brain and the spinal cord. In ALS, motor neurons are lost gradually. As these motor neurons are lost, the muscles they control become nonfunctional. ALS cannot be caught, it is genetic. In my case, my physical strength was deteriorating.

I used to run five miles a day, but all of the sudden, I couldn't walk up the stairs in my three story house without having to sit down and rest. I was a dancer and a runner, but now, I can hardly walk.

There is no treatment and usually most people do not live very long after diagnosis. After I had heard this, I started to put myself down, by saying things like, I'm never going to be a professional dancer, or an Olympic runner like I had always planned.

But after a few hours of sulking, I started researching online for information about the disease, and found some information about a man by the name of Stephen Hawking, and I found his contact information after a few hours and emailed him. He sent an email back saying how he felt shortly after his diagnosis.

A few days after this experience, i got another email from James Marsh, director of The Theory of Everything inviting me to the premiere of the movie, he said i could sit next to anyone i wanted, so I want to sit next to Eddie Redmayne and Stephen Hawking.


The author's comments:
I wrote this because I just wanted to get these feelings out of my head.