Chains | Teen Ink

Chains

August 7, 2014
By Jasminelily95 SILVER, Jakarta, Other
Jasminelily95 SILVER, Jakarta, Other
8 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"She loved mysteries so much, she became one." Paper Towns by John Green


Ever since i was little, i've always been fascinated in the art of philosophy, just a few months ago, i stumbled upon The Philosophy Book from DK Publishing from the best-seller section, no wonder, i mean, all of these great ideas and complicated theories about mankind's tendencies are explained, well most of it.

I haven't exactly got the perfect moment for my hands to grasp into every page but there was this one quote that stood up from the rest on the front cover, quoted "Man is born free and everywhere he is in chains." clearly it is a metaphor, a metaphor that i've been dying to blab about to other people.

When we are born, our soul is ours to claim to live in this world & the world that exists after it and our body belongs to ourselves for the age of our youth. But why, when we reach at a certain point of our lives, we feel harmed in doing things we want?

I name them, The Invisible Chains, cannot be seen but can only be felt. A chain that is made up of the negativity that steams inside our mind and overtake on the way we see things.

We are chained by the rules that limits our freedom, we are chained by the mocks that people direct at us so we cannot do more of what we could, we are chained by our parents orders to do things that are unacceptable to them but what we desire most.

Everywhere we go and everything we do, our behaviours are based on what we think we should do for the sake of being accepted, we are like puppets, the puppet master (and just to clear thing up, i'm not referring this to God, it's just the forces that lies on our heads that seems to have a greater power than it truly has) pulls our strings and controls our every movement we make.

If only we; as puppets, can negotiate to our puppet masters, to be free at some point and to be pulled back when we need to redeem ourselves.

But how do we get out from this state that we're in? and what happens if there are no chains left in us all? would there be chaos? or would it bring us satisfaction or perhaps, happiness?

A part of me does want to be let loose and cut all of these strings so i can be free and empowered, but another part of me is fragile and afraid on what lies for my future if i do not have any limits, i might just go mad and do whatever i want, even if it involves hurting someone, mentally.

I often feel like there's an anchor at the very end of these chains that drags me to where it stops and it prevents me from crossing the line, i do want to rebel from it, but will it include pain and tears along the way?


The author's comments:
This was an old post I wrote a while ago in my blog and I decided I want to share it here on Teenink :) this peace of writing was a turning point for me as I began to have the confidence to write and share it on the internet, hope you'll enjoy reading this!