Trust Your Instinct | Teen Ink

Trust Your Instinct

By ShirleyS SILVER, Oakton, Virginia
ShirleyS SILVER, Oakton, Virginia

I can still hear my teammate’s voice echoing in my head, “No. Do not press the buzzer until you have discussed the answers with us, okay?”

I still pressed the buzzer anyway, sticking to my instincts. My team had no time to waste. Checking the answers would require too much time. Besides, I did a quick answer check myself and it looked just fine. What I was doing was a bold move, of course. If what I were about to say was wrong, the possibility of our team winning would be annihilated. I took a quick look at my other teammates’ faces. They looked doubtful. I had said a couple of wrong answers previously, thus diminishing my teammates’ faith in me. I told the teacher my answer. My heart beat like a hammer was being pounded on my chest while I waited for my teacher's response. When at last I heard that my answer was indeed correct, I could feel the wave of catharsis wash me with relief. I knew my method was against what the team wanted, but I decided to stick to what I thought would benefit the team. Instead of sitting and doing nothing because of the remorse I had about the previous wrong answers, I actually did something to increase my team’s score. However, I did so while acknowledging my failures and fully knowing the consequences it would bring. Trust your instinct. Do not be afraid to try something your own way.