PJ’s for Patients | Teen Ink

PJ’s for Patients MAG

July 29, 2014
By athenathepixie SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
athenathepixie SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
5 articles 2 photos 10 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human face." -Victor Hugo


Cancer is among nature’s greatest equalizers, touching one in every two men and one in every three women during their lifetime. While the current state of cancer research is progressing at unprecedented levels, treatments are nevertheless daunting, especially for young patients. While dealing with these emotionally and physically draining procedures, pediatric patients often feel frightened and uncomfortable. Cancer is particularly hard on children who are forced to leave their homes in order to get the best possible treatment.

From an early age, I’ve been inspired to help wipe out cancer. Although I knew I couldn’t possibly become an oncological researcher at 10 years old, I wanted to make a difference. Instead I combined my desire to combat cancer with my love of crafts by creating Athena’s Owl, a small business to sell my handmade jewelry and crocheted hats. A percentage of proceeds from my crafts benefits cancer patients and research by way of the American Cancer Society’s annual Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Walk, which I have worked with for the last six years. I also became involved with Gilda’s Club NYC, a support organization for people whose lives have been touched by cancer. After volunteering with the children of Gilda’s Club as a camp counselor and member of its junior associate board, I realized that I wanted to make a more personal impact on children dealing with cancer.

I had the idea to start my own charity, PJ’s for Patients, about a year ago. PJ’s for Patients is an organization that collects new cotton pajamas for pediatric cancer patients seeking treatment away from home. Its aim is to bring some degree of comfort to children living with cancer in hospitals. Although a new pair of pajamas won’t cure the disease, they can certainly bring some happiness and hope during an otherwise solemn and disheartening time. As a teen, I can attest to the fact that snuggly pajamas are among the most prominent emblems of home. Pajamas are the hallmark of comfort and warmth, and I believe that swapping drab hospital gowns for fun, comfy pajamas can spread this feeling of security and belonging, making a small yet impactful difference in the lives of sick children.

After receiving a grant from Scholastic’s Be BIG In Your Community contest, I excitedly began to implement my project. I sent out countless corporate inquiries for donations of collection bins and pajamas. I reached out to friends, classmates, teachers, and schools telling them about PJ’s for Patients and encouraging them to collaborate with us. I created a blog and a Facebook page to document the progress of the organization.

Fortunately, many of my attempts were met with generous responses. PJ’s for Patients has, to date, delivered over 130 pajamas, collaborated with three schools on pajama fundraisers, and raised over $2,000 to purchase new pajamas and toys for pediatric patients.

I believe that the purpose of life is to discover true happiness, and to find ways to perpetuate our own happiness so we spread it to others. Though we may each reach happiness in our own way, I feel it most while helping others. Each of us yearns to fill some kind of niche, to find our purpose in the world. I believe that my purpose is to help others.

Soon I hope to expand PJ’s for Patients to a national and international organization. It is my dream for all types of cancer to be eradicated. Until then, I will continue my work with PJ’s for Patients and encourage others to join me. I’ve seen firsthand that when empowered youth come together to make a positive change in the world, that change is within reach.