Saturday Mornings | Teen Ink

Saturday Mornings

By coffeeluvn SILVER, Calabasas, California
coffeeluvn SILVER, Calabasas, California

A nostalgic feeling takes over when I wake up early on a Saturday morning and see someone with a doughnut. I get transported back to a time where life was simple and the most exciting part of the day was going to the doughnut shop with my Poppi. When we were not making biscuits, Poppi would wake my sister and I up, and take us to the doughnut shop in our pajamas. Besides my sister’s groans of being woken up at 7:45 AM our smiles were uncontrollable as we imagined the smells, colors, and people that were to come in the shop. We eagerly scurried downstairs and hoped into the green SUV. My stomach would growl and so would I in excitement for the doughnuts. When we passed the gas station I knew we were only seconds away from pure bliss. My sister and I would hop out of the car like newborn bunnies, and raced to the door. My Poppi would always greet the owner with a friendly good morning and ask how his family was. His warmth shined brighter than the still rising sun and everyone in the room could most definitely feel it. I pressed my face against the glass amazed by the colorful array of sweets. What would I get today? There was always one that I could never pass. I do not know if it was my naive self attracted to the hot pink, or if I genuinely loved it, but I knew I would get that pink frosted french doughnut. Its sweet, doughy yet crunch goodness was too much for me to resist. The second doughnut was always a maple bar, jelly filled, or some crazy sprinkled one. My sister was always drawn to the maple bar and an apple fritter. We would get fresh milk, I always preferred strawberry, while my sister preferred chocolate, and we would chase the sweet, sticky doughnuts with the ice cold goodness. If I could go back in time I would go back to those days at the doughnut shop when I had no worries except which second doughnut to choose. A time when my Granpa’s radiance was able to make the whole world seem small and safe. A time when my sister and I would lay on each other as we ate our sweets and laughed. It is weird to think I wake up saturdays now either really late or to go to work. Times have changed, but my memories have not and I will never forget how happy those days with my Poppi and sister were.