What is the Occasion Today? | Teen Ink

What is the Occasion Today?

By Mr.JayCe SILVER, Antioch, Tennessee
Mr.JayCe SILVER, Antioch, Tennessee

For belligerence is not to be fooled with, it is the key to a lurid reputation.

I titled this letter, “What is the occasion today?” because I for some reason, can muster up the mental power to visualize you saying that on a day that I dress up… like today. The answer is… it is not really an occasion that I am dressed up for, rather a gesture. A gesture of kindness, to show appreciation and loyalty, love and respect to someone who has made a difference in my life—and added meaning to my world…

I find myself writing this because I feel it is coming close to summer and my highest hopes are that we don’t lose each other in the search for building a better more settle life. The words don’t mean much, hugs are a temporary fix—they just get you through the day. They get me through the day anyways! Most of all things to ever go by in life, I write you today, not only because it’s cute and somewhat romantic even, but because I realize what I have and I’m having trouble imagining without. I want to say thank you, thank you for everything, thank you for being here for me, thank you for helping me see things and understand more about myself through you. I might not be the type of guy that you see with a girl friend all the time, or out having fun, partying, smoking or doing whatever it is that people our age do, but it is because I am sitting back watching you be happy and go through your ups and downs so that I know how to be a great boyfriend, fiancé, husband, father, and best-friend I can be for whoever I am blessed with… It was through you that I find myself experiencing what it means to have someone important in life. That it’s not a game, it’s not about the money, or school, or the drama—it is about the moments you create together with your real friends. I don’t remember who said it but just know I didn’t say this: Blood doesn’t make family, loyalty does…

I remember freshman year in Ms. Klotz class, I sat right in front of you, and the guy next to you named “Q” asked for your number in a not serious way. You were pretty open-minded about it and understood that giving is a good thing. I remember taking your number down just because I thought you were beautiful and it made me feel somewhat accomplished—it made me feel better about myself. As confident as I was of not ever getting with you, I still felt better because you were open to almost anything even if it was just being the closest of friends and I was okay with that. You’ve always been a listener and I think you’ll make a GREAT mom! I remember tenth grade year too—in Ms. King’s class. I don’t have to go into detail about that, let us not forget about Jaylen (Jay).

Overall this is a thank you letter because you mean the most. And I could never ask for any more because you are more than I deserve. Love you from the heart?! You are not my friend; tu eres mi familia!

Valentines Day