Freshman Year | Teen Ink

Freshman Year

By annmariemeyer GOLD, Atkinson, Nebraska
annmariemeyer GOLD, Atkinson, Nebraska

“Love anything and your heart will be wrung and possibly broken. If you want to make sure of keeping it intact you must give it to no one, not even an animal. Wrap it carefully round with hobbies and little luxuries; avoid all entanglements. Lock it up safe in the casket or coffin of your selfishness. But in that casket, safe, dark, motionless, airless, it will change. It will not be broken; it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredeemable. To love is to be vulnerable.”-C.S. Lewis

Most people think freshman year is all about the parties, guys, and girls, drinking, and dating. Well in my eyes those things don’t really matter because freshman year really means that you are growing up and there is nothing that you can do to stop it. My freshman year started right after my eighth grade year ended, just like it should. But my life took a sharp turn as my oldest brother went off to college, my grandma moved closer to me, but she left my home away from home, and I realized for the first time in a long while that in less than four years I have to get ready to leave home. One of the things that I learned is that this year is no matter how good of friends you were back in the day things changed. Another thing is that it is hard to grow up because in some ways you want to get your independence but in other all you want to do is stay a little girl forever, but that isn’t an option. You wish it was but it isn’t because you can’t be like Peter Pan and stay young forever. Even though you can’t stay physically young forever there are ways to act young forever without people looking at you and thinking that you are weird. Things like spending one Saturday doing nothing but dreaming and reading or annoying your brothers when they come home just as if they never left. But even those things can’t shake the feeling that you WILL grow up and leave the house so the best thing to do is deal with it. Once you face the fact that you can do nothing to stop it but killing yourself. By the way all those things about guys, parties, and drinking that most people in my class do I don’t because I don’t want to hurt my body. Of course I really can’t because of all the law say not to plus my mom will kill me if I ever drank or did anything illegal. I say that but I know that it is true. Here are some things that I have learned about being a freshman people will still think that you are a teacher pet, you might be smart in junior high but in high school you might have some trouble, guys will still look at you the say way unless you party every night, growing up never gets easier, some people become your friend just for what you can give them, some of your best friends growing up won’t even look at you anymore, your parents become more embarrassing, and you are tried all the time. Well this is me , but my life isn’t all that bad because I still have people that love me so I am ok.

on May. 16 2014 at 10:43 pm
Life does get better trust me