Women Can Do Anything Men Can | Teen Ink

Women Can Do Anything Men Can

April 16, 2014
By Jaydon Zima BRONZE, Junction City, Kansas
Jaydon Zima BRONZE, Junction City, Kansas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

I was walking down the hallway and there were posters everywhere you look saying vote for me I will help change the school and Vote John for Student Body president. When I was almost to my next class I saw my old friend John. In my head I was thinking why John always wears those ripped jeans with hos plaid shirt and cowboy boots every day of the week. I never get why. When John stopped me in the hallway I was getting an apple, and I couldn’t really talk. He talked to me for a while and I could not respond because my mouth was full. Then he asked me how my summer was? Oh great I didn’t really do anything. Oh just like most girls do, they depend on their parents to do everything. My face was getting so red that it was almost as red as the apple that I was eating. Before I could say anything I just walked away. When I got into the class and sat down I tried to calm down, I was counting in my head and thinking of things that made me happy. When I was trying to calm down all that I could think of why do guys always think women can’t do anything? When I was sitting in class all I was thinking about what I can do to change the minds of the guys in the school. I was thinking all day, even when I got home from school. I even stayed up all night. Nothing was coming to me, when I woke up the next morning I put on my favorite mint green shirt and my black skinny jeans and put my hair in a messy bun. It wasn’t till I got out of my next class, and I looked all the hallways and I yelled I WILL RUN FOR STUDENT BODY PRESIDENT! I was really nervous of what my friends were going to say about me running for student body president. When I told them they were just shocked at what I told them. Then they just started asking me all these question like why? At first I was thinking did I make the wrong decision but I knew I need to do this to let women now they could do anything they set their minds to.

The next day was really crazy my mom was like a pig in a barn. No matter how hard I tried to calm her down, she just wouldn’t stay calm. When I trying to get ready for my first speech my mom kept talking to me and would not be quiet. She wanted to make all my posters and stuff, so I let her make them. When the mail came I jumped so high I could touch the sky, my name was official on the ballet for student body president. When I get excited I start to clean and when I say clean I really mean clean, by the time I was done cleaning my hands looked like raisins. When I woke up around 6am I looked like a hobo my hair was everywhere my breath smelled horrible and my cloths looked like they haven’t been washed in forever. By the time I got to school it was almost time for 1st hour, and by the time lunch time hit everyone already knew that my name was on the ballet for Student body President. I was so confused about how everyone knew my name was on the ballet already it’s only been like a day since I told them I was running. After school I went to go work on my speech a little more because it wasn’t done and my speech was tomorrow.

When I woke up for school the next day, I put on a grey shirt with black skinny jeans and cowboy boots. By the time I got to school I was nervous because it August 30 the day all the people who are running for student body president are giving their speech’s to the school. Study hall couldn’t have come faster and I couldn’t even speak when they called my name to give my speech. After I gave my first speech everything was going great and nothing could stop me now all my fear has gone away.

After 3 weeks of giving speeches and campaigning I was in the lead, with John on my heels. When it was almost time to give is last speech I was thinking I have to do something great to get this win. I was thinking and thinking, but nothing was coming to my mind. Then it came to me, men have always been elected for student body president and all they have ever done is mess this school and have done nothing and women can change this school.

Today was the day. I was dressed in the finest dress I could find and my haired curled and high heels on. Time went by so slow, that I started to redo my homework. When 12o’clock hit it was time to delivery my final speech to the school, it was between John and I. John gave a great speech and he didn’t look scared at all. I was shaking out of my skin. By the time I finished my speech the whole school went wild. They were standing and cheering.

Finally the day came. The voting was starting it was all day until 1pm. We didn’t find out until the study hall I still had to wait all day. I tried everything to distract my-self but, nothing worked. Every time I looked at the clock time kept going slower and slower. Finally the time came to find out who won. The whole school went to the gym. I was so nervous my hands were sweating so badly and, I could not stand it no more I wanted to find out who won. When the principle was talking I could not even concentrate on what she was saying. When she said drum roll please, I felt like I was going to throw up. When she said this was one point away, I knew I lost it for sure. Then she said Please welcome your new student body president Beth. This was the happiest moment in my life and I could not believe this. When I gave my speech I thanked everyone for voting for me and I won’t let them down.

After winter break I could really see the changes in the school. Everyone was happy to come to school now. There was no bulling and being nice to each other. The thing I was most proud of that at least everyone was passing a class. I was really proud of the improvement I made in the school.