Social Equality | Teen Ink

Social Equality

By izzysanders BRONZE, Maplewood, Missouri
izzysanders BRONZE, Maplewood, Missouri

Is there even such a thing as social equality? What is it? Can you see it? Can you feel it? Can you hear it? Can you touch it? Truth is, if it even exists anymore you would be able to do all of those things. Social Equality is now a thing of the past though. What can you do to get it back? There is no answer to that. Some people believe they have social equality within their own lives, but if they take a step back they realize even i do not. I’m not friends with everyone, and to be socially equal in our society you have to realize that you can’t just be friends with who you want to be friends with. Now you might ask, “what is social equality?”The dictionary definition of social equality is a state of affairs in which all people within a specific society or isolated group have the same status in certain respects. My definition is being fair and treating every person around you equally no matter what you hear about them.

Does social equality even exist? Equality exists among humans, but that is not the same as social equality. Equality exists among the government and the rights that people have. Among all of us there is no social equality. We are all split into different groups, separating us between race, gender and status. Social equality in high school is non-existent. They are split up in groups according to absolutely everything they do and the friend groups change so often you do not know who is actually friends. Even among adults there is not social equality because then you are split up as too how much money you earn. Social equality is everywhere that we go in the world. You think that you are seen as equal to everyone else even if you have done something and people have forgiven you, but the truth is, no one forgets and they always remember and judge you.

There is social inequality between everyone at all ages now. We all split up into groups that we think are right. What we all do not realize is that on a large scale we are all the same. On a small scale we each differ, but everyone is still human and we all still have human qualities. I believe the only way to fix the social inequality in the world is too take everything away. People believe they are better than one another no matter your age or gender. The philosophy of people today is that “the more you have, the better you are.”