Shout to the World | Teen Ink

Shout to the World

By Taylor Smith BRONZE, Fort Riley, Kansas
Taylor Smith BRONZE, Fort Riley, Kansas

Lucy was walking down the hall on her phone when she ran into Jessica. They both fell down laughing as Jessica got back up, then helping Lucy up.

“Hey!” Jessica exclaimed.

“Hey,” Lucy says texting on her phone and smiling.

“So guess what,” says Jessica.

“What?”

“Last night me and Richard were hanging out at the center, and then some girl came up and pushed him. His friends had to hold him back because she was going crazy on him and he was getting super mad.” Jessica says laughing. She laughed but Lucy could tell her smile didn’t exactly reach her eyes, so she was obviously upset about something.

“Why didn’t you stop him?” questions Lucy, realizing she should probably ask later, because class will start soon.

“I haven’t told DeSean me and him are talking, because he said they will fight if I ever talk to Richard, even though they’re best friends and he has Maddie.”

“Oh, well that’s dumb.” Lucy said as they were walking down the hall, before class. While they were walking they just shared stories back and forth, then Jawonnis and Marquis walked up to them, as Marquis immediately started talking.

“I saw baby picture of me yesterday, and I had a big head! But I found out that when I was little there was a possibility that I could have Chrones Disease when I get older, so I’m kind of scared. I just don’t want to get it.” Marquis said will a dull look on his face. Then Jawonnis started busting out laughing. “It’s not funny dude,” Marquis said slightly pushing Jawonnis. Then all four of them busted out laughing, as everyone stared at them like they were crazy. They laughed even harder when Lucy snorted while she was laughing.

“I know, it’s just... your face was so funny!”

“Don’t feel so down Marquis. Yes there’s a chance you could get it, but look on the bright side, you don’t have it right now and there’s also a chance you may not have it. If it makes you feel any better I have epilepsy and I have to live with it for the rest of my life.” Lucy says, with a small smile on her face, although you could tell she was a bit sad about it.

“Yeah, but that’s not even a big deal!” Marquis yells, while Jawonnis just nods in agreement. Lucy’s mouth just drops as she stares at them, not even blinking. She stayed like that for a minute, still not blinking, as Jawonnis, Marquis, and Jessica stood there waiting for Lucy to start screaming.

“Um excuse me? Not a big deal? It’s a huge deal! There’s a chance you may not have it too, but me, I already have epilepsy! I live with it every single day, you have no idea how rough it gets at times. Do you think it’s easy being me, because it isn’t you guys. I take medicine every day for it. Do you have any idea how scary it is not knowing when you’re going to have another seizure? I am constantly in and out of the hospital. You may not know, but I will have this for the rest of my life! It won’t ever go away. So, yes, it is a big deal.” Lucy says with tears forming in her eyes. Just as she was about to cry Alexander walked up and instantly ran up to Lucy and took her into his arms.

“Woah Lucy calm down, I didn’t mean it like that,” Marquis says reaching out to her.

“What is going on?! Why is she crying?” Alexander says with a scowl.

“No! Don’t touch me. That’s exactly how you meant it, so don’t even try and go back on your words. That’s exactly how you meant it so stop.”

“I’m sorry Lucy. I didn’t mean to make you so upset.”

“Yeah we didn’t mean to make you so upset Lucy,” Jawonnis says with an apologetic look on his face.

“What is going on?” Alexander roared holding Lucy in his arms, tightly.

“It’s fine. I just…It’s irritating when people assume it’s so easy having something like this when it really isn’t.” Lucy says with a small smile.

“Okay, I am really sorry Lucy,” Marquis said with an apologetic smile.

“Yeah. Same,” Jawonnis said right after.

“Oh my gosh what is going on?” Alexander yells, his face turning red.

“They said it’s no big deal having epilepsy and that I’ll be fine, when they don’t know how it really is. But, it’s fine because they apologized and I know they didn’t mean it.

“Are you guys’ crazy? You have no idea what she goes through on a daily basis, yet you sit here and say it’s easy being her, and it’s no big deal? Go away, leave now!” Alexander snaps.
“Don’t worry about it and I didn’t mean to go off on you guys.” Lucy says, hugging Alexander, so he’ll calm down. She could tell he was on the brink of fighting them, and she didn’t want that to happen. She could tell they didn’t mean it, but she needed to get that out. They all stared at Alexander waiting for him to scream again. Marquis had backed up just the slightest, so he was farther away when Alexander swung. Oddly enough, he didn’t. He just looked down at Lucy with an apologetic smile and gave her a hug, and she instantly hugged him back. Marquis looks down and scratches the back of his head, trying to find a better way to apologize, just as the minute bell rings. Alexander took Lucy’s hand and started walking away.

“Bye you guys,” Lucy yelled looking back, as all three of them said their goodbyes back. Alexander and Lucy were almost to her class when Alexander suddenly stopped and turned to her.

“Are you going to be okay? We can skip and I’ll take you to Chipotle,” he says with a glum look on his face.

“Yes, I’ll be okay. I didn’t mean to yell, but its irritating when people assume it’s easy.”

“Okay, everything will be okay. I’ll be waiting out here for you when class ends and we can go to Chipotle.”

“Okay, thank you so much. I have to go now,” Lucy says hugging Alexander, as he hugs her back.

People assume it's easy living with something like epilepsy when in reality it isn't, so with this story I hope people will stop with the assumptions, not only with epilepsy, but with anything like this. I want people to realize it isn't as easy as it seems.