Just Another Theatre Geek | Teen Ink

Just Another Theatre Geek

March 21, 2014
By chaden810 BRONZE, Afton, Virginia
chaden810 BRONZE, Afton, Virginia
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Though she be little, she is fierce."


Finally, after hours of late night rehearsals, dozens of broken set pieces and props, and endless speeches from our crazy director, it’s arrived, opening night of Sweeney Todd, my high school’s spring musical. And to you, a bunch of sweaty teenagers singing and dancing to Sondheim’s greatest may not be that exiting, but for me, this is everything.

At the beginning of this year I was a fourteen year old girl fresh out of a tiny all girls school and into a 1,500 plus public high school who didn’t know how to get to any of her classes, talked to much, was way to loud, and was sure she’d been labeled “that weird girl” for the rest of her high school career. Then I walked into the doors of that blackbox and wandered onto that stage. Everything changed.

I look forward to my intro to drama class more than anything in the day. When I walked through those doors I would forget about everything that was happening around me. All the stress and the worrying went away. It was like being on stage and preforming a monologue and having the whole audience so captivated that you can hear them holding their breath. Except in this case it was me who was holding my breath, me who was so captivated, by the art of theatre and performance.

Theatre is all I want to do. Not only have I discovered a passion that I will have for the rest of my life this year but also have met people that will change me forever. Backstage I have made friends who love me for me and all of me, are the funniest and most passionate and talented people I have ever met, learned about acceptance, and met people who make me a better person. They encourage me every day to push my limits and to open up. They are the people I am truly comfortable and love being with the most. I have been adopted by upperclassmen who have taken me under their wing. I have found my people and I have found my calling.

So although I still don’t really know my way around and I probably still talk way too loud, I know that when the curtain goes up tonight and I’m taking final bows with the rest of my gorgeous cast that I will be right where I belong.


The author's comments:
I hope that this article inspires others to try out theatre.