“How Can We Manage Our Generation's Tomorrow?” | Teen Ink

“How Can We Manage Our Generation's Tomorrow?”

March 10, 2014
By Maryelle GOLD, Stein, Other
Maryelle GOLD, Stein, Other
13 articles 17 photos 14 comments

Favorite Quote:
The world is strange, if you don't want to shatter, be strange too. (G.F)


This was just one of the questions Reinhard Werner, certified psychologist and founder of the “young leaders GmbH” put to the approximately 130 adolescents, and young adults taking part in the “133 Jugendpressekongress” (133rd press congress of the youth) of “young leaders”.

The participants, aged between 15 and 19 years, came from all parts of Germany. In their free time they volunteer as class representatives, editors of school magazines, in church, or take care of disabled people, just to name but a few.
After successfully passing an application process in advance roughly 130 young, and committed people had the chance to travel to Dresden/Germany for taking part in the “133 Jungenpresskongress” of the “young leaders GmbH” proceeding from the 6th to the 8th December of 2013. The accommodation was the Officers's school of the army in Dresden because a variety of journalistic PR-work, considering the topic “ Future: Army- Prospects for young people”, was about to be produced.

The five different groups, either working toward creating TV-Spots, a newspaper, or a web magazine, were mentored by professional journalists who gave valuable tips, and advice on how to issue contributions.

For this purpose Julika Meinert, the mentor of “Workshop E”, in which the members worked on producing the web magazine, talked about different types of texts with the members of her group. Subsequently, this knowledge was used for writing a newsflash, like it could be found in a newspaper.

This way you got slowly introduced to the big challenges of the weekend: Writing a report about the demonstration of a combat mission, conducting and presenting interviews, along with preparing and shooting video clips on your own.

In the course of the three educational days multiple lectures, and an exchange meeting were held in the Scharnhorst-Saal, the auditorium of the Officer's school.
Among these lectures one was titled “Strategic options for the 21st century” by Reinhard Werner.

In his speech, addressed directly to the young assembly, he talked about chances and risks of globalization, and the problems lying ahead of Germany, and it's inhabitants due to demographic change.

In a part of his lecture he talked about the tasks, and problems “the elite”, like he called a certain group of people, will have to solve in the future because of all the changes that are about to take place.

According to him, people belonging to the elite are good role models in all spheres of life. That means these people are involved, and keep old social values like timeliness, and reliability alive.

These of people have always existed, and will always exist. They are the ones able to achieve change.

In the end of the weekend the groups presented their results in the auditorium. Each attendant was allowed to take an issue of a newspaper, filled with texts written over the weekend, home with them.


The author's comments:
I took part in this event myself.
Further Notes: I had to choose the picture out of a couple of given ones, this is why I wasn't able to use any of the pictures I was supposed to use.