"Help Us Help Others" | Teen Ink

"Help Us Help Others"

By Lili Lan Visgilio BRONZE, Providence, Rhode Island
Lili Lan Visgilio BRONZE, Providence, Rhode Island

Every Saturday morning when most kids are sleeping in, I jump out of bed to go to one of my favorite places, the basement of St. Raymond’s Church. It may seem odd to you at first, but it’s home to one of many St. Vincent de Paul food pantries. It’s open from 9 to 11 on Saturday mornings and those two hours are the highlight of my whole week. I look forward to spending time with the volunteers, who appreciate life, and are fun to be around. I get a sense of energy from these people I couldn’t get anywhere else. I laugh more when I’m with the SVDP volunteers than with any other group of people. They are some of the most enthusiastic, courageous, and selfless people I know. Some of the people who work there have been doing this for a majority of their lives. They are adult role models for me and I aspire to be like them. I could talk about all of them but I’m short on time so I will only discuss a few people.

Kathy and Bill, an elderly couple, face their obstacles with optimism and faith. Kathy is one of the most courageous people I know, fighting against breast cancer; she still comes to volunteer. Her husband, Bill, is extremely supportive of her. He’s brought Kathy to numerous chemo treatments and continues to work so they can have a small income. They themselves could qualify to be recipients but instead, they don’t feel sorry for themselves because they spend their time together by helping others.

Paul and Maureen, a father and his daughter, have been coming to SVDP for most of their lives. They’re so used to the Saturday morning routine; they don’t think anything of it. They’re encouraging and work for the good of the community. The Saturday after I found about my acceptance to Connecticut College, I told them and they were so happy for me – I got a high-five from Maureen and a hug from Paul. Those were just two little gestures that meant the world to me because they were genuinely excited to hear my good news. Paul and Maureen have such an energizing spirit about them, and being in their presence motivates me to continue serving the community.

Matt is a man who has a natural sweetness about him. His daughter is a Bay View graduate and she works in California for a TV company. His quiet energy is different from some of the outgoing volunteers, and he is the leader of my team. I enjoy talking with him because he’s easy going and has a gentle soul. He works diligently for SVDP by setting up the basement every Thursday, in addition to coming Saturday mornings.

Diana is a woman who appears rough on the outside, but she has a wonderful heart. She has been doing this ministry of serving others for approximately twenty years. What I admire about her is that when she’s dealing with difficult situations in her life, she doesn’t let them stop her from doing her job. She believes that helping others is crucial, and she has said to me how it makes her realize how lucky she is. Diana told me something that touched me so deeply – it was that the St. Raymond community is lucky to have me in their life.

The volunteers as exceptional examples of what it means to be a child of God. However, the recipients of the aid are extraordinary too – we can’t forget they are also children of God. They’re people who are from all walks of life – immigrants, addicts, and others who have been unfortunate in life. There are elderly, young adults, children and everyone in between who receive goods from this pantry. They don’t only receive aid, but they have the ability to meet new people, engage in conversation and receive a self-esteem boost.

The first time I volunteered, I was with my mom behind the canned vegetable table. It was a summer day when a man approached us. He had a hat on with a bunch of chains, necklaces, feathers and beads on it. After my mom told him how many cans he could have, he looked straight at me and said, “Hello princess.” Then he asked, “Where you from?” and I answered, “China.” He was the colorful type.

My mom told me a man from Russia came through the line a few weeks in a row. Then one week he gave her a letter asking her, or someone in the organization to teach him English in return for learning Russian. I noted this man because of the courage it took to ask a stranger to teach him a foreign language.

Then there’s Susie. Susie is an extremely sweet lady who tries really hard, however, she sometimes seems to have some emotional problems. She loves engaging in conversation with all the volunteers, because they all know her, and she’s happiest when she’s singing. Guaranteed, she’s not a great singer, but that doesn’t matter because she’s content. However, other people near her sometimes tell her to shut up, but she just keeps on singing! Susie says what’s on her mind. One day, my dad came to SVDP with my mom and I. Susie approached my dad, a cute, short, white haired, bowtie, Italian munchkin. He shook her hand reluctantly… he’s germ phobic. Then Susie asked my dad if he’s Italian, and if he’s married. He said, “yes,” and pointed to my mom across the room, saying, “the woman over there is my wife.” My mom waved to her. Then Susie said to my dad, “Italians make the best lovers” and she sang “Love Hurts.” That gave my family a good laugh at lunch that afternoon!

When the recipients arrive, they register with Diana. These people receive traditional nonperishable food items, such as, peanut butter, canned soup, canned fruits and vegetables, pasta, rice, beans, and mac-n-cheese. However, this food pantry is unique because they also receive products, such as fresh produce, meat, tuna, and bread. If they choose to, they are allowed to pick three items of clothing. Lastly, the recipients occasionally receive toiletries because they’re not covered under food stamps.

Every week I’m assigned to work at a different station and sometimes I work with my mom. When the recipients leave my table, I usually say, “Have a good day!” Sometimes the people appear to be deeply touched by the fact that I sent positive vibes their way. Others are grateful for the volunteers who give their time to feed the hungry, and sometimes they even say, “God bless you!” My mom and I both have a sense of satisfaction when we leave, because we know nothing else could fill the gap. And, if I miss a week, I feel I’m thirsting for their presence. When Ms. Wrye asked us in class, “What gives you a sense of purpose?” I answered, working at SVDP. It’s something I do that I know is making a difference in the community.

Community is a word all of the volunteers treasure dearly. We all have a deep understanding that we’re one big family and share in each other’s pain and joy. Working for the good of the community is God’s work for us, as we understand it. Also, if you enjoy the work you do, it shouldn’t seem like work, and this is exactly how I feel about SVDP.

Spending time with people I care about is a lot of fun, however, working at SVDP was a huge eye-opener for me. I’ve grown up in a pretty sheltered environment – at home and at Bay View. Before going to SVDP weekly, I knew people were in need, I just didn’t know how in need they were. The recipients who come through use reusable grocery bags, duffle bags and even suitcases to carry their food. Some recipients look like they could be your next-door neighbors and others look like they need help. Volunteering at SVDP has shown me the deep need in the community, and I am grateful for the opportunity to be able to help.

Volunteering has also allowed me to meet many wonderful people that I could never say good-bye to. There aren’t many teenagers in my parish or where I volunteer. That’s ok with me, because I use that time to bond with my mom. My mom is my best friend, and she could give testimony to everything I have said so far. Like me, she always looks forward to Saturday mornings to see the SVDP volunteers and recipients. She has a distinct laugh I’ve never heard anywhere else, and it’s an incredible one! Sometimes I can hear her across the room laughing with her lady friends. It makes me delighted to see her so incredibly happy! She has found a place where she can volunteer and give back, while meeting new people in a place where she feels comfortable, because that’s what she had been praying for. These volunteers have the same interests, passions, and love of life as my mom and me. I’m glad that we’re doing this together because we both get so much out of this distinct experience.

The basement of St. Raymond’s is enchanted on Saturday mornings. Most of you would be very surprised I said that, if you saw its actual location. The basement is a cold, grey and drab cement room with fold up tables and chairs, but the magic comes from the recipients, the volunteers, the energy and the spirit in the room. People are treated with dignity and respect. We’re obviously feeding their physical hunger, however, we hope they also receive the spiritual nourishment they might not get as often as needed. You have to be present to truly understand and capture the spirit of this group.

SVDP is a lay, Catholic organization that has a long history – founded in Paris, in 1833 by Fredric Ozanam. It originally began to help disadvantaged people in France, and it is now in 149 countries worldwide. In 1845, the first branch of the SVDP organization in the United States was started in St. Louis, Missouri, which is now home to the national headquarters. In addition to food assistance, the SVDP organization provides rent/mortgage assistance, education programs, social justice programs, job training, disaster relief and so much more. St. Vincent de Paul, the patron of the organization once said, “If you help the poor and the needy, God will always provide you with the help you need.”

This incredible organization has given me an opportunity to meet new people, but more importantly, it has given me a place where I can help others in need. Being part of this group has taught me so many lessons already, and I’m sure I’m going to learn more in the future. This chapter of the SVDP has been such a positive addition in my life – for which I’m so grateful. I hope to spread the important messages of service to others, and that small acts of kindness can go a long way. In closing, I leave you with a quote from a song by Noah and the Wale, “If you can give a little love, you can get a little love of your own.”

I wrote this essay because I volunteer at my church's food pantry which is run by the St. Vincent de Paul organization. I wanted to express how influential they have been in my life.