Curiosity Killed the Cat, B*tchiness Buried It | Teen Ink

Curiosity Killed the Cat, B*tchiness Buried It

By Kisses-A BRONZE, Redondo Beach, California
Kisses-A BRONZE, Redondo Beach, California

And in that moment, I swear, we were infinite.

I would have to be blind to not see the way girls glare at her in class or the way boys scowl when she struts past them with a flip of her hair. It bothers me, enflaming in the back of my mind, gnawing and gnawing until I finally ask.

We're 7 or so, it's only natural I would be curious. I don't what a b*tch my sister can be yet, I only know the girl who plays dolls with me and gives those coy smiles and sly winks to allude to mystery, I don't know that her tongue is a nightmare, sharp and harsh, when she's frustrated.

"Do you want something?" She asks from the fridge, pulling out a water bottle for herself.

"No thanks, Ali," I decline, shaking my head.

"Suit yourself," she scoffs, closing the fridge and swinging around the counter to sashay over to the couch. I don't yet recognize what "sashaying" is or why she does it. Unlike Alison, I'm still naïve to how much pretty matters.

"Hey, Ali?" I speak up, tentatively. She stops in her tracks, not turning to face me.

"Yeah, Court?" She asks, tilting her head, idly. She still doesn't look at me. In hindsight, this is probably her bottled up insecurities — she doesn't want to look at herself. We're identical after all.

"Why do so many people hate you?" Beating around the bush has never been something either of us were good at.

Carefully, she looks over her shoulder after setting the water bottle down on the coffee table, flashing a coy smile — the most infamous of her trademark smiles, the "I'm Ali and I'm fabulous" one, and says, "because I'm the best, sis," with a quick wink and this cute shoulder thing.

There are two, important things I don't take from this yet — one: it's narcissism to an astounding level and two: she's lying. About why people hate her. She knows. She knows exactly why, she's too smart not to. She knows what she is, she always knows these things.

She's the "it" girl already. Girls want to be her, boys want to be with her. But she smiles teasingly and struts past, sure to display what they want and sure to remind them they can't have it. And I don't know until curiosity gets the best of me.

Looking at her isn't like looking in a mirror, even if we're identical. We're two different reflections, one nice and curious, the other cruel and calculating. Take a guess who's who.

(Co-write with The0dd0ne)

LucyD. said...
on Mar. 7 2014 at 10:02 am
LucyD., Torrance, California

Never look back, Hanna. Something might be gaining on you.

I like this little look into you guys at 7, I don't remember much besides my dad being out a lot from that year so it's really nice to see where we were at with wanting to kill each other back then (kidding). The dialogue, it's so . . . Ali to say that, even at 7. I love how you dip into her insecurities and tease at how you two were back then, you really can tell how you two turn out. I also love the title, knowing both of you as long as I have, it makes sense.