February 14th, 1995 | Teen Ink

February 14th, 1995

February 15, 2014
By esmirnaZz BRONZE, Pomona, California
esmirnaZz BRONZE, Pomona, California
4 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Two nights ago, after coming out of the shower, I began to think about my early beginnings. To the time when I was still in my mother's womb and I completely depended on her for survival. She was a young woman of a mere 22 years when she felt the symptoms of her pregnancy. I was the creature being formed inside her, that was changing her body in and out and was causing these unpredictable extremes of craving cheese to vomiting it all out. On an early morning the second week of February, I finally saw with my small brown eyes the woman who had nourished me with gentle, sweet words and given her entire self to sustain me. Apart from her, I also was cared for by an aunt that loved me even before I was born. My grandparents who had been supporting my mother and therefore caring for me, every minute, hour, day, week and month prior to my arrival. I thought about these 4 incredibly important humans that had done so much for me even before my existence was made known to the world. I was really grateful about it and sent a personal email to these family members that evening, two nights ago.

Yesterday, I woke up and realized 19 years had passed since I had taken my first gasp of air. I wasn't a newborn anymore, I wasn't a toddler. I am no longer a child, or a preteen. I am nineteen. I spent my day reflecting on how I am to live this new year; my last teenage year! My aunt called me, the same one who was in the room with my mother when she was crying out in pain 19 years ago, and gave me some advice. She said, "This is your last chance to be rebellious, next year you are 20. Just remember, that if you do rebel, anything you do will be charged against you as an adult". I will not be irresponsible this year and I know my aunt said this because she knows I don't exactly follow the same footsteps my mother took when she was my age. I will have fun though. But, that was yesterday.

Today, the 15th of February 2014, I am Izmir, a nineteen year old girl who is to take a daunting step towards adulthood. Will I achieve the goals I set myself? Can I continue to make myself happy? How will I make my family feel this year? What other crazy adventures, experiences and firsts will this last teen year bring? I am not sure. I have a sketch of what I want to do, but ultimately efforts bring results. So, that's what I will strive to do. I will work hard. Now I can not only count on the support of 4, but on the moral, emotional and spiritual motivation from many more.

THIS YEAR WILL BE A VERY EXCITING ONE.