Adrift | Teen Ink

Adrift

By MariahLina15 SILVER, Ventnor City, New Jersey
MariahLina15 SILVER, Ventnor City, New Jersey

"Maybe it's not about the happy ending, maybe it's about the story." -A

Do you ever feel like you are floating? In the middle of the sea surrounded by hungry, carnivorous great whites?

No where to turn, no one to tell, no where to run. Your stuck, time is frozen and the moment becomes surreal.

You see, I have this recurring dream that I am stuck, In the very center of the vast blue sea. My head bobbing
in and out of the water like I am on a fishing line, my body struggling to stay afloat. I haven't the slightest idea
what it means, only that I dread going to sleep every night because of it. Is it a sign? Maybe to stay out of
the salt water for awhile? No... I don't believe it is. Because even when I am not dreaming, I feel like I'm floating.

Not in the clouds, my hands clinging to long strings that hang from colorful, airfilled, objects. But floating in the great wide ocean instead. No one to talk to, no one to look to, no one to help me. Alone; adrift, and left for the sharks. I wish it was different; I wish I was soaring through the sky on Buckbeak's wings, (shoutout to my Harry Potter fans) not a care in the world. But i don't feel that, as much as I want to, I don't.

I don't think it matters anymore because the sharks have already gotten to me.

They have already infultrated fear into me; darkened my already dark thoughts. Made the impossible, possible.

So it doesn't matter. I am adrift; alone. No one anywhere to turn to, accept the sharks. My darkest enemies, who soon become my darkest friends.

"Someone I miss."