Who am I? | Teen Ink

Who am I?

January 29, 2014
By aswan BRONZE, Stevensville, Michigan
aswan BRONZE, Stevensville, Michigan
3 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Who am I? It’s not something a lot of people think about on a regular basis, most people think of themselves as other people see them; smart, funny, sarcastic, etc. But those are just characteristics of someones personality, it’s not exactly who they are. For instance, I am a free spirited, happy, out going person, with a lot to say; that is what makes me who I am. My activities such as dance, singing, and other forms of art shape my personality and make me a whole. But who am I exactly?

I am the person you look at walking down the street but not the person you see, I am the person you listen to but you don’t hear, and I am the person you can touch but never feel. I am the free spirited soul that you don’t ever look into because you don’t think there is anything deeper than the grass on top; but just like everyone else, I have roots that sit on top of my soil waiting for someone to dig deeper. I am green because it makes people think I am healthy, but really my roots could be dehydrated and frail, and no one would ever know. I keep my emotions hidden from everyone so people don’t ask questions, so I don’t have to think about it. If I have to think about everything that’s going wrong I can’t focus on all of the great things that are going on around me.

I am the dancer that brings the music back to life, every motion in-sink with every beat, ever emotion hanging by a thread. I am the dancer that is afraid to get on stage, afraid to be vulnerable, afraid of jumping into a sea of people, afraid I might get eaten by the sharks. I am the dancer that loves to dance, that loves put my emotions out there, loves leaving all of my problems, my fears, and my worries on stage. I am the dancer that hates being seen dancing, not because I am not good, but because I put everything into every movement, because with every leap, every kick, every fall, every rise there is a story. There is a deeper meaning to every way I move, there is a fear, a smile, a tear, all of that is mine, no one else's, and i don’t want that to be taken away from me. I am the dancer the music brings back to life.

I am the free spirited soul locked in a cage, begging to be set free, begging to see the light again. I cage my self in this prison not because I want it, but because I am afraid. Afraid of what people will say, afraid of how they will see me, how they will react. But I have unlocked the first door and am trying to unlock the rest. Because I have realized, sitting in a cage leaves you defenseless, a target, a bird waiting to be shot. So I put everything out there, I have no secrets, I let people judge me in their own way, and I have learned not to care. Because by putting everything out there, there is no bullet for the hunter’s gun. I am the free spirited soul that is un-caging myself.

I am the poet that puts everything into my writing, not so people can judge me, not so people can hurt me or help me. But so people can know me, know who I am, where I come from why I am who I am. I am the poet that wears my heart on my sleeve, not so people can see it, not so people can break it, but so I know it’s there.

So who am I? I am the dancer that has music for a heart beat. I am the free spirited soul that isn’t free yet. I am the outgoing person who is jumping into the sea. I am the green grass that needs to be nurtured. I am the poet that has nothing to loose.


The author's comments:
Everything is about me