A Friend Is All You Need | Teen Ink

A Friend Is All You Need

December 25, 2013
By ainzulaikha PLATINUM, Johor, Other
ainzulaikha PLATINUM, Johor, Other
27 articles 0 photos 2 comments

I was just walking back home from a class my mom wanted me to attend and it was almost nightfall and it really looked like it’s going to rain any second. I forgot to bring my emergency umbrella with me so; I was speed-walking to find if there were any shelter I could take cover. Minutes past, but I still couldn’t find shelter so I took rest under a tree and trying to catch my breath. I took out my water bottle that I brought but was surprised to see it empty! Then, I noticed drips coming from below the bottle and I couldn’t believe what I saw! The bottle had a leak and it must’ve emptied out as I walked along. I sighed and told myself that I could just call my mom to come pick me up, so I took out my phone from my pocket and dialed her number. I tried to gain some bars but there was no signal anywhere!
Just as I continued my search for a shelter, I felt drips of drops coming from above and in just a few seconds, it was raining like cats and dogs! I ran faster by the minute but just as bad my luck is; no shelter was to be found. I tried to gain a bit hope that I might not get zapped by lightning but the lightning and thunder stroked the earth like a predator would a prey. I felt a few tears running down my cheeks, or well, a few raindrops because it was raining, and began to cry in silent as my search for any bus stops, or my mom’s car continued.
After a few kilometers on foot in the rain, someone came to me and gave me their umbrella. I looked at the boy who gave it to me and all I saw was a dark raven with bright blue eyes, handing me his umbrella and drying off my tears with his thumb. Then, he asked where my house was and promised to take me back. I told him my house is about another kilometer from here and he only nodded in return.
As we were striding through the rain under the big umbrella, the boy started a conversation. Asking me what my name was and why was I out in the rain. I answered most of his questions and the chatting went on. We laughed when he told a joke, he comforted me whenever the lightning looks so close from where we were and we talked and talked so much, I forgot the whole world! But just as I was about to tell a joke, I heard my mom shouting my name and I realized that I just missed my house a couple of houses back. We laughed at my mistake and then he took my hand and closed his umbrella. Then, we both run like two maniacs until we reached my house. My mom was just as worried as what I imagined her to be like and quickly got the both of us a nice, warm towel to clean up. Then, my mom told us to change into a pair of new shirts and trousers and then gave us a warm cup of cocoa and told the raven to wait until the storm ended.
After the storm, my new friend said goodbye but first, asking which school I attended to. I told him that my school was just three blocks away and my class was 4D. He said that he attends to the same class as I am and we looked so surprised! We went to the same school, the same class but didn’t even know each other! We laughed a bit and said goodbye.
At school after the incident, I looked around my class to see if the boy was here and to my surprise, he sat right next to me! We laughed the whole time until our teacher came in and started our first lesson. But every time we look at each other, we would giggle and whisper about things that don’t even matter.
And after 15 years, the raven and I were more than friends, we were a couple and still trying to survive college. But whenever the sky looks like it’s going to cry, we would share the same umbrella and talk about the same things we said when we were kids, trying to remember our funny, friendship-full memory.