The Rock | Teen Ink

The Rock

By lizsarah5240 SILVER, West Windsor, New Jersey
lizsarah5240 SILVER, West Windsor, New Jersey

"You always miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
-Wayne Gretzky

(I have changed the names)

I glanced out the window at the beautiful nature; every single tree branch was enveloped in the rays of the sun.

“Lizzy! Pay attention! We still have ten minutes of class left!” My teacher angrily yelled at me.

I snapped back to attention as I realized that my first grade class was still going over the math homework. I glanced at the clock and silently counted down the minutes left in class before the weekend’s much needed arrival. My classmates and I eagerly packed our bags as the bell rang; each of us discussed the plans for our weekend amongst ourselves. I got out of the school and stared at the beautiful nature before me. Maple and oak trees towered over my six-year old body. The late May sun shone on my sweating face as I waited for my 11-year old brother and his friend to finish class and accompany me on the walk home from school. Finally, they finished packing their backpacks and walked outside to meet me by our usual spot on the playground, behind the twisted, green slides. Isaac, my brother, walked alongside Nic, his best friend. Nic tossed a rock in the air and caught it behind his back with the ultimate expertise. I rolled my eyes as my brother praised his amazing athletic abilities. Then, my eyes widened as I caught sight of a piece of paper fluttering in the wind near the road.

Running towards it, I realized that the paper was a five dollar bill, caught under a gray-white pebble. I snatched it up as greedily as a broke seven year-old could. As I hid it in my pocket, I looked back at Isaac and Nic. They were both yelling something to me, but, I couldn’t comprehend. Isaac pointed at something behind me. I whirled around just in time for the large rock Nic was playing with, to smack me with full force in the face. I fell backward and laid on the ground, in total shock. Tears streamed down my face as I tried to sit up, but I failed by a long shot. Nic and Isaac came running over with looks of concern on their faces.

My brother stood dumbfounded over my bloody face as Nic quickly took off his sweatshirt and started to wipe my blood. “It won’t be good if the blood gets in your mouth, so keep wiping your nose and don’t let any blood into your mouth.” Nic told me, nervously as he handed me the sweatshirt. I wasn’t able to stop my tears, so my brother picked me up and ran to our house as Nic ran to his house and got his mother, a doctor.When I got home, my nanny started to panic, and silently cursed under her breath in her native language. She got me bags of ice and made me eat ice cream to try to stop the swelling. By the time Nic’s mom came over, I had stopped crying, had changed my clothes and was watching television in the family room.

“You have a big bump from your eye to your lip. I am now going to check if your nose is broken.” she said, concerned.

I nodded and closed my eyes as she applied pressure to certain parts of my face. Tears came to my eyes and started to spill over my eyelids as she pressed on my nose to lip area. It felt as though I was getting kicked in the face, repeatedly.

I sipped my melted ice cream and tried to escape from the everlasting pain.

“Let’s see, no broken nose, but you will have a large bruise and a scar that will last a while; try to ice it a lot.” she advised

I nodded through my tears and saw my mom walk through the front door with a look of concern upon her face. She rushed towards me and enveloped me in a large bear hug. I could smell her strong perfume and for a moment, I forgot about my pain.