#SWAG Yeah Right | Teen Ink

#SWAG Yeah Right

By oceaninyourveins SILVER, Farmington, New Mexico
oceaninyourveins SILVER, Farmington, New Mexico

"Thomas Edison's last words were 'It's very beautiful over there'. I don't know where there is, but I believe it's somewhere, and I hope it's beautiful." - John Green

“I am a cheerleader, I am so popular and have so many friends. I love pop music, and every body loves me, and...oh! I’m NOT a virgin! #Swerve!”

Some girl at my school.

I’m sorry if I offended you, girl at my school, but I seriously doubt that you’re reading this.

“I am so cool because I play every sport like baseball, basketball, and football. Oh yeah! Woot woot! You name it, I play it. Oh, and all the girls want me. #Swagggg!”
That stupid jock on the football team.

Sorry Mr. Jock, but I doubt sports make the girls want you. Just saying.

I live in a world where apparently SWAG and YOLO is the new type of language us teenagers like to use. First, of all what does Swag even mean? I know that Yolo means You Only Live Once. So why does everyone use it in every single sentence they say? And it’s not even true! You live every day. You only die once. #GETITRIGHT.

Popularity doesn’t define who you are as a person. The only reason why kids are popular is because they date every girl or every boy in the school for a day or two and then break up with them. The girls wear barely any clothing, and the guys wear their pants to the ground and take advantage of girls. The main thing is that they have a big group of friends. Half of their friends aren’t even real friends. They are fake. They don’t like the person. They just want to be their friend because they want people to think they are cool just because they hang out with them. Another reason people are popular: They act bigger than you. Like you don’t matter. But I don’t care. I wish that populars didn’t exist. If you think about it, their life must suck. No real friends, getting in fights, failing at school. It’s really sad to me. I feel bad for these people. They are just shells of people, walking and talking like something they’re not. How can they let themselves go to waste? I bet half of the populars smoke. Not just cigarettes, but everything they can get their hands on. I hate them. I hate them for laughing at me when I fall, or when I do something “weird.” But, I feel sorry for them. They’ve just let themselves go. Soon they’ll be invisible. Wasted and pregnant and.... hm. Full of SWAG. If that’s what Swag leads to, then so be it. They’ll learn their lesson sooner or later. So, I hope that when they’re nothing more than a nobody, that they remember Swag. You don’t need to hang out with that group of people just to be cool. You can hang out with people that are like you, that have things in common with you, or will accept you for who you are. Not people who want you to be full of Swag. People who, after talking to you, will turn right around and spill your secrets to someone who hates you.

We live in a society where the only way you’re beautiful is if you have the perfect body. People don’t look at personalities any more. For guys, they look down. For girls, they’re just vulnerable to a guy’s touch. Why can’t they listen to you, or hear your thoughts or maybe look at how beautiful a person’s eyes or face is. All they look at is your body and if it meets people expectations. You can’t be too fat or too skinny, you have to be perfect.

You must use your face as a coloring book! Mask your beauty with these NEW products! And people wonder why teens nowadays are so depressed, sad, anorexic, or committing suicide progressively every day. Its because they are trying to fix society’s definition of “perfect.” People are telling them at school that they are nothing, ugly, stupid, not worth it, or that no one likes them. The worst comment of all is: kill yourself. It makes me so mad when I hear that a poor innocent boy or girl committed suicide because of bullying pushing them to the breaking point. Trust me. I have heard it all. People tease me every once in a while as well. But the thing is I don’t let it bother me. I don’t because I know that in the next year, next month, or even next week it won’t matter anymore.

Just don’t let people’s words hurt you. Take a stand. Tell yourself that you are better than this and trust me. You will feel better about yourself when they’re begging for your help. The choice is up to you if you want to take their hand to help them. I know it’s mean, but I really don’t think I would. Forgive me, if you will, girl at my school. Forgive me jock. But I don’t think I’m really apologizing. Not yet. Not unless you do first. Sorry, but that’s just how it works.

Sorry. I guess. But, not really.

So...#SWAG? No thanks.

Humans are fragile creatures made up of broken hearts and broken promises.

ThatGirlNoOneKnows BRONZE, Farmington, New Mexico

'I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I'm out of control and at times hard to handle. But, if you can't handle me at my worst, you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best."
-Marilyn Monroe

Thank you, I don't normally do anything but I have this weird feeling I get, and when I get it I just write what's on my mind.

on Dec. 13 2013 at 11:17 am

Oh really? You should write more they are so good! And I can relate to them so much!

on Dec. 13 2013 at 10:41 am

-Marilyn Monroe

Thank you I don't write often but when I get upset or feel  usless I write. If I think their good enough I might publisj them

Rose_13 PLATINUM, Farmington, New Mexico

If you try and teach a fish to climb a tree, it will live it's life forever thinking that it is dumb. ~Albert Einstein

Thank you soo much! I've read your poems and they're great too!

-Marilyn Monroe

I hope both of your work ends in one of the magazines. It is excellent work. You are both wonderful authors, it's amazing what can come from one's imagination. :-)

I will! Don't, worry!

Ok thanks I will I really appreciate it! 

-Marilyn Monroe

You should write more things that are like this, both of you.

Sorry meant to say you

Thanks so much! Check out my account! It's Rose_13

-Marilyn Monroe

Well you both did an excellent job. I enjoyed reading this and I will think of this everytime I here someone say swag. This was one of my favorite articles I hope you write more like this. :) I plan on reading both of your articles.

Yes I agree they should.

Yes! You did some great editing and feedback! so thanks so much!

Thank you so much! I helped Julia257 write this because we both really hate swag!!

Rose_13 said...
Thank you soooo much!! I helped her write this and we want people to know what SWAG will do to you!

-Marilyn Monroe

This was AMAZING! I believe every word ou say, I really do. I'm glad you take the time to add this and make sure people see this, thank you so much.

lost_girl said...
on Dec. 12 2013 at 9:25 am
lost_girl, Brunswick, Ohio

"To gain things you have to lose things"

-my boyfriend

I really think that every single high schooler should read this.