Community Service Serves | Teen Ink

Community Service Serves

November 21, 2013
By Alysia17 GOLD, Wilmington, Delaware
Alysia17 GOLD, Wilmington, Delaware
10 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Hey... uh this kind of awkward. You’re probably wondering why I have this apron and hairnet on. Sorry, this isn’t the best first impression, but I’m kind of busy. Oh shoot, you’re probably lost so let me start from the beginning.

It all started about a month ago in May, 2011. In the mist of the smelly gym smell mixed with perfume and 7th graders, came a new girl. She was very pretty and she seemed nice… at least that’s what I thought of her. As I got to know her I then started to realize how obnoxious she was and how much she took pride in making trouble. All in all, what did this have to do with me? What part do I play in this you say?

Long story short, it was no secret that she wasn’t a fan of my character. She practically HATED me. She would always spread rumors, give me malicious looks in the hallways, and say little things to try and make me mad. I thought nothing of her but a jealous, obnoxious, and dramatic girl. I later found out that it was just more than a jealousy thing and that things would soon go out of turn.

One brisk, but warm, Thursday evening at the park would soon turn into more than just a day at the park. I had much trouble to face. That “New Girl” I thought nothing of, had an even worst impression from me after this day was over. She showed up to the park with her mother ready for a fight. Knowing me, we all know how I reacted. I didn’t back down and I stood up for myself. Unfortunately her mom didn’t want her to fight alone and she joined and I had to fight both of them.

I ended up going to court and getting probation and community service hours. That’s how I ended up here. I had to complete 35 hours of community service. I actually enjoyed servicing my community. I had the opportunity to get to know and feed the homeless. I heard them out, listened to their stories and grew very fond of them. I felt great listening to someone else’s story and knowing that my advice could be life changing armed my heart. That’s not the only thing so great about servicing my community either. The kids I worked with were really nice and welcoming too. They showed me how to do things and made my experience fun.

Even though I was only there for a week, getting to know everyone and my community was a great and social filled experience. It was so fun that I actually want to volunteer and join in with helping make my community better. Servicing your community isn’t bad at all and it could actually be a life changing experience.