My Coming Out Story | Teen Ink

My Coming Out Story

November 9, 2013
By JaycobA. GOLD, Lebanon OR., Oregon
JaycobA. GOLD, Lebanon OR., Oregon
18 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
No one alive can tell you that you are wrong for loving who you love. Regardless of if they are the same or a different gender. Love is love no matter what form it's in.


I know alot of kids around my age want to come out but are concerned. Wheather it's about friends or family accepting you people can be concerned. Honestly, I know the fear because I went through it myself. I will tell you that to get that weight of your chest, it feels like you can finally breath fully.

Okay, I will just state a couple facts right now. One, I am 14 and was that age when I came out. Two, I am a freshman in high school. Three, I am bisexual.

I guess my coming out story starts back in fifth grade or so. That was when I think I first relized I had feelings towards both guys and girls. I mean I would get crushes on both guys and girls. I ignored it because I went to catholic school and I was honestly scared. I thought I was just weird because I was basically taught that to like the same gender was a serious no-no.

In seventh grade I went to Seven Oak, a public school. I met a bunch of amazing people there. One of them was bi. We where talking one day and she said she was bi. I was confused, because coming from catholic school I didn't know what bisexuality was, so I asked what that meant. She explained, basically, that she liked guys and girls. I relized that, that was how I was. I didn't admit it at the time however because I was in denial.

The rest of seventh grade passed and most of eighth grade before I could even accept the truth. Finally at the end of eighth grade I got the sign I needed to come out. I got a pretty major crush on a girl. Still being in denial I ignored it during the summer. When I got back to school in September and saw her I knew I couldn't keep lying to myself. Finally one day I got up my courage and did it.

I was hanging out with two of my close friends,both happened to be bi, and some other people(one of my friends happened to be the girl I liked). We where walking and my friends had been asking me who I liked and I will be honest I am not a straight forward so I give a lot of hints. Finally i said I would give them a hint. First I told my friend I didn't like. I said "You won't guess who I like because it's girl." She basically freaked. It was a good freak out though. Next I said to the girl I liked that I liked a girl. She just asked "So, you're bi?" I said yeah and she asked if I was out of the closet. I said no I was stil in bit of denial. We talked fo a bit longer and she was like telling how I should come out.

A couple hours later we where at a bonfire. A couple of my other friends where there. My friend who freaked out was beside me. She brought up te topic of my crush and so I told the same thing to them and I told them who it was and I said I wanted to ask her to homecoming but I was afraid. So about ten minutes later the girl I like asks me "Hey, someone said you wanted to talk to me." I swear my heart stopped. I talked to the girl who said that and, long story, short, She asked her for me.

The next day, at school, I told two more of my friends about who I liked. Both where supportive. Later that night I told another one of my friends who was supprised I wasn't a-sexual actually.

About half a week later I came out to one of my cousins over Facebook she was surprised but she basically said I'm glad you told me and I won't judge you. About a week after that my cousin was talking about homecoming, on Facebook, and I told her about asking a girl. She was pretty suprised but like everyone else so far she was supportive.

Finally I decided it was time to come out to most of my family. I went with the convienent option and posted on Facebook that I was bi. As far as I knew none of my family really opposed. It felt like I didn't have to hide anymore. Like I didn't have to feel uncomfortable about it.

I relize that not everyones family is so supporting but if you have a supportive friend base then you will be fine. No matter what though, if they don't accept you say "I'm still me. I didn't change anything. All I did was quit denying myself the right to be happy."

If you are concerned about coming out comment and I will help the best I can.


The author's comments:
This is my personal coming out story and if it can help even one person I will be happy. Also just remeamber you love who you love and nobody can tell you that your love is not right. Thanks for reading.