My Coming Out Story | Teen Ink

My Coming Out Story

By JaycobA. GOLD, Lebanon OR., Oregon
JaycobA. GOLD, Lebanon OR., Oregon

No one alive can tell you that you are wrong for loving who you love. Regardless of if they are the same or a different gender. Love is love no matter what form it's in.

I know alot of kids around my age want to come out but are concerned. Wheather it's about friends or family accepting you people can be concerned. Honestly, I know the fear because I went through it myself. I will tell you that to get that weight of your chest, it feels like you can finally breath fully.

Okay, I will just state a couple facts right now. One, I am 14 and was that age when I came out. Two, I am a freshman in high school. Three, I am bisexual.

I guess my coming out story starts back in fifth grade or so. That was when I think I first relized I had feelings towards both guys and girls. I mean I would get crushes on both guys and girls. I ignored it because I went to catholic school and I was honestly scared. I thought I was just weird because I was basically taught that to like the same gender was a serious no-no.

In seventh grade I went to Seven Oak, a public school. I met a bunch of amazing people there. One of them was bi. We where talking one day and she said she was bi. I was confused, because coming from catholic school I didn't know what bisexuality was, so I asked what that meant. She explained, basically, that she liked guys and girls. I relized that, that was how I was. I didn't admit it at the time however because I was in denial.

The rest of seventh grade passed and most of eighth grade before I could even accept the truth. Finally at the end of eighth grade I got the sign I needed to come out. I got a pretty major crush on a girl. Still being in denial I ignored it during the summer. When I got back to school in September and saw her I knew I couldn't keep lying to myself. Finally one day I got up my courage and did it.

I was hanging out with two of my close friends,both happened to be bi, and some other people(one of my friends happened to be the girl I liked). We where walking and my friends had been asking me who I liked and I will be honest I am not a straight forward so I give a lot of hints. Finally i said I would give them a hint. First I told my friend I didn't like. I said "You won't guess who I like because it's girl." She basically freaked. It was a good freak out though. Next I said to the girl I liked that I liked a girl. She just asked "So, you're bi?" I said yeah and she asked if I was out of the closet. I said no I was stil in bit of denial. We talked fo a bit longer and she was like telling how I should come out.

A couple hours later we where at a bonfire. A couple of my other friends where there. My friend who freaked out was beside me. She brought up te topic of my crush and so I told the same thing to them and I told them who it was and I said I wanted to ask her to homecoming but I was afraid. So about ten minutes later the girl I like asks me "Hey, someone said you wanted to talk to me." I swear my heart stopped. I talked to the girl who said that and, long story, short, She asked her for me.

The next day, at school, I told two more of my friends about who I liked. Both where supportive. Later that night I told another one of my friends who was supprised I wasn't a-sexual actually.

About half a week later I came out to one of my cousins over Facebook she was surprised but she basically said I'm glad you told me and I won't judge you. About a week after that my cousin was talking about homecoming, on Facebook, and I told her about asking a girl. She was pretty suprised but like everyone else so far she was supportive.

Finally I decided it was time to come out to most of my family. I went with the convienent option and posted on Facebook that I was bi. As far as I knew none of my family really opposed. It felt like I didn't have to hide anymore. Like I didn't have to feel uncomfortable about it.

I relize that not everyones family is so supporting but if you have a supportive friend base then you will be fine. No matter what though, if they don't accept you say "I'm still me. I didn't change anything. All I did was quit denying myself the right to be happy."

If you are concerned about coming out comment and I will help the best I can.

This is my personal coming out story and if it can help even one person I will be happy. Also just remeamber you love who you love and nobody can tell you that your love is not right. Thanks for reading.