Breakup Letter - Made of Glass | Teen Ink

Breakup Letter - Made of Glass

By ZanibZulfiqar PLATINUM, West Chester, Ohio
ZanibZulfiqar PLATINUM, West Chester, Ohio

"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hey Sweetie Pie,

They say to never WRITE a breakup letter, but I am not going to demoralize you by saying this in front of everyone in SCHOOL. I am NOT going to insult your intelligence with the “it’s not you, it’s me” gimmick, so I am going to give it to you plain and simple: we aren’t compatible. Our friendship has been spiraling out of control since the last two weeks, and quite frankly, I am up to my throat with it. And maybe I should’ve seen it coming, but darn it, Hannah, I wish you thought about what you said. I know you have realized that you can end up getting yourself into trouble with your mouth; I’m proud of you for that, I just think, with all that’s going on with the group, I need to call the shots down the middle, for EVERYONE’S sake. I don’t know why this happened, or who wanted to do what to who, and whether or not anyone thought this was going to happen; all I know is that, Hannah, my dear friend, you are wrong in this situation. I don’t think you apologized to me in a way that was sincere – maybe it was – but you have to realize you shouldn’t be going about this through me. You have to look deep into the mirror and come to terms with yourself. You need to talk to your reflection, stand outside your body and look in to SEE what may be the problem.

I just what you to know that I still love you.

I will always be your NibNibs, I will always be your Behan, and I will always be your Mommy when you need me to be. You will always be able to tell me anything you need to, and I will always give you advice on whatever you need me to. I will always be able to help you on your homework. I will always be able to talk to you when you need someone to listen. And I will always, ALWAYS love you. You are still my Api, and you are STILL my BOOF. For the rest of my life, I will walk this earth with your number in my back pocket and your name running circles in my head. I REFUSE to let this friendship die.

I’m just putting it on ice for a while.

There will come a time in the near future where you will walk this planet and KNOW that someone changed you for the better. I can only hope and pray that it is me. You have a LOT to learn, Beautiful, and I am confident that you WILL learn it. And maybe you’ll be a better person than I ever hoped to be, maybe you’ll be a better person than you ever knew you could be, and maybe you’ll be the BEST person to ever walk the face of this planet; that isn’t a call for me to make; it is up for YOU to decide. YOU will pick your path, YOU will be the person you are DESTINED to be… You just need to know that I CAN’T make you that.

Only YOU can.

And you can ALWAYS come back to me when that happens.

I still love you; I want you to know that.

Thank You for Everything

I love you,
ZZ

They say "all good things must come to an end," but why do they have to come to such a painful end? In a fit full of tears and anger, I give to the world and my dear friend, Hannah, what most of it can't give itself: the truth.
I still love you, Hannah. -Z