First Time Tubing | Teen Ink

First Time Tubing

November 3, 2013
By Anonymous

My first time tubing is something I will not forget for a long time. It happened a few summers ago at my lake house with my brother and my friend up there Ian. It was a torrid day outside so Ian’s dad decided to take the three of us out on their boat so we could go tubing. We had just finished having lunch so we headed down to the beach to wait on the dock for Ian’s dad to bring the boat over. The bright yellow sand was scorching in between my toes. I have no idea why I was nervous, but for some reason I was. I said to Ian, “how many times have you been tubing before?” Ian looked up at me and said, “only a few times.” As I got on the boat I started to feel excited, I could not wait to get going. We sped off going farther and farther into the lake. I could smell the gasoline from the boat and I could feel the cold refreshing air spraying into my face.

After about 20 minutes or so when we finally stopped. I could not even see our beach anymore. Ian and I went onto the tube then I realized why I got a little nervous, it was because I did not want to fall off. I thought to myself that I would fall off the tube, and keep slamming into the water if we went high up. I tried not to think about it and grabbed the wet handle of the tube. Then the boats engine fired up and we were off. What happened was great, we were bouncing up and down, water was smashing onto us and we were going really fast. I could barely hear Ian talk to me because of the wind. We stayed on for about 5 minutes. I was surprised that I never fell off the tube because of how fast we were going. Also, the fact that our tube was bouncing up and down, from nailing all of the waves in the water. When we finally came to a stop, I could see nothing because my goggles were all foggy. I was a little dizzy but I had a ton of fun, I said to Ian, “dude I feel like I’m still spinning,” he said to me that he felt the same way.

Then his dad said to me, “hey, can you lean over and check if there is a stick or something on the rope, there looks to be something on it.” So, I leaned all the way over the tube to check the rope, and that’s when I realized how dumb I was, because all of a sudden the tube flipped from underneath us, and Ian and I went tumbling into the lake. I could hear him laughing as I popped up out of the water and I said, “wow how could I fall for that.” Ian, my brother and I then threw a football around to each other in a shallow part of the water for a little bit and also tossed around the frisbee. Then we all swam back to the boat, as I got onto the boat I could feel a light breeze brushing up against my back. I felt goosebumps raise up and down both my arms and legs. We then had sandwiches and snacks because we were starving. I could see that it was starting to get darker out, and it looked as if it was going to rain later on in the day. Ian’s dad said to my brother and Ian, “If you guys are gonna go on the tube you should go now.” So they hopped onto the tube and went tubing, most of the way back to where the dock is on the beach. There were a ton of people on the beach now, because it was about 2 o’clock in the afternoon. The three of us got changed and went up to the basketball court to shoot around for a little bit and we then went to another friend’s bon fire until about 11, I woke up the next morning thinking about the great day I just had, and that I would like to have another day like that again soon.