The Frozen World | Teen Ink

The Frozen World

By theimpossiblegirl39 SILVER, New City, New York
theimpossiblegirl39 SILVER, New City, New York

"The way I see it, life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~The Doctor (Doctor Who)

As I sit on this chair, made of fibers so closely woven that only the skinniest of needles can penetrate, I watch the world around me. I watch as it slowly freezes, as the temperature drops and all signs of life slowly cease to exist. In front of me, I can see my own breath as it is released from my nose, swirling and floating up towards the sky. It gently dissipates into the clouds above me, which are inching along with the cool breeze. Every second the sky grows darker, as if someone is painting it over and over again, until it is black.

A squirrel gathers food. It races across the stiff grass, moving from tree to tree. I wonder about how simple life is for a squirrel. They rely on only themselves for food and shelter. Compared to my own life, it seems easy and liberating. However, I know it must also be stressful, looking for food, and avoiding other creatures that may pose a threat to their well being. I decide that this is proof that things are not always as they seem. As the squirrel scampers away, I hear crickets chirping, calling out to one another. Though I cannot see them, the cool air carries their sound to where I am sitting, and it is as if they are right next to me. The crickets are, however, barely noticeable over the sound of leaves rolling across pavement in the wind, tumbling and turning as they are swept away from the trees they once called home.

Night begins to settle and, impossibly, it grows colder. Goosebumps appear on my arms and shivers rack though my body. It is much darker now, but I am certain that my breath is still visible as it escapes into the clouds. The cool crisp air feels dry on my face, and carries no odor. It is time to go inside. Soon I will no longer be able to see the beautiful world around me and the wonder it possesses. As all wildlife settles in for the night, my yard becomes still. It is almost as if it has been frozen into a perfect tableau by the cool temperatures, lacking any signs of life. I look towards the welcoming, warm light of my home, resting only a few feet away. Without a second thought I move towards the warmth, leaving the frozen world behind me.

This originally was an assignment for my English class. My teacher told me that I should publish it. So I am!