An Aspiring Writer's Reflection | Teen Ink

An Aspiring Writer's Reflection

By Lexie29 BRONZE, Randolph, New Jersey
Lexie29 BRONZE, Randolph, New Jersey

"Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections." -Unknown ♥

"It doesn't matter if the world is pulling you down. With Christ you have everything."- Nick Jonas

"What you do with your
"When you love someone and they break your heart, dont give up on love, have faith, restart"-Jonas Brothers

"But when you forgive, you love. And when you love, God's light shines on you. " -Into the Wild

"Don't stop, believin"- Journey

"You can't stop people from talking about you, but you can stop giving them things to talk about." Miley Cyrus.

"When life offers you a dream so far beyond any of your expectations, it’s not reasonable to grieve when it comes to an end."-Twilight

"What can I say, I'm obsessed. And as we know, obsessed girls cannot be responsible for their actions, can we?"- Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants

"The difference between school and life? In school, you're taught a lesson and then given a test. In life, you're given a test that teaches you a lesson." Tom Bodett

"When one door closes, another one opens."

"My #1 confidence trick is reminding myself that God made only one of me, and no one can disregard how special that makes each of us. I am unique. I am beautiful. I am loved. What more could I want?"- Kelly Clarkson ♥

"Don't let your past dictate who you are, but let it be part of who you will become"

"Whats meant to be is whats meant to be."

My clock says 1:03 am, and as tired as I am, I cannot fall asleep without getting this thought out. I spent some time today thinking about my future, truly thinking about what I want to do with my life. After going back and forth with different ideas for years, I have come to a conclusion. Writing is my calling and a degree in journalism can get me there. Of course, as with any other major and dream, I will need to work harder than I could ever imagine to get where I want to be.

I am the most talkative person I know. One of my favorite things to do is to tell a story. Of course stories consist of the news, such as what is happening in the Middle East, in the world of politics and religion, ect; and yes, those stories are important and always will be. However, as far back as I can recall, I have been the type of person to love getting to know people. Getting to know people’s stories and hearing the struggles that made them into who they are today. More importantly, I believe that sharing those stories with others helps others to grow and learn that they are not alone with their life difficulties. When I reached my teenage years is when I realized my true calling. Being the person to tell someone’s story has been a dream of mine for the past five or so years. There is something amazing about “stepping into another’s shoes,” so to speak, and if I could spend a huge chunk of my life doing just that, well, I do not think I would find too much to complain about in life. Now, it is a known fact that not every writer makes a ton of money, and that is okay. Of course it is important to be able to provide for yourself. In the end, however, I would rather spend 40 years doing what I love even if I do not make a ton of money, rather than be miserable while making a lot. Bottom line is, from what I hear, life is too short to not do what you LOVE!

One of the arguments made about getting into writing and journalism is the fact that books and magazines are becoming overthrown by the technology world. It seems as if everywhere we turn we see someone reading off a Kindle or an I-pad. For those of you who still enjoy hearing the crackle of a book’s binding when you open it, or licking your finger to turn a paper page, I commend you and I am on your side. However, it does not take a rocket scientist to see that paper is becoming a thing of the past. Even if paper is not timeless, writing still is. Sure, we can pull up this week’s issue of People Magazine on our kindles whenever we want, but those articles don’t just magically appear. There is not article fairy, someone has to write them, and I want to be that person. I am a strong believer in the fact that heart needs to be put into a writing piece. Real emotions make a piece come alive; even when it comes to editing too. Yes, word processors have a squiggly line that appears under a misspelled word or a fragmented sentence, but nothing can truly beat real flesh and blood.

So for all of you aspiring writers out there like me, keep your head up! Writing is a timeless language, and there will always be a spot out there for us, somewhere in the world. But, as of now, it is 1:34 am and I am signing off.

Just a thought that came to me.