First Day at MA | Teen Ink

First Day at MA

October 28, 2013
By riplms2005 DIAMOND, Oglesby, Illinois
riplms2005 DIAMOND, Oglesby, Illinois
52 articles 0 photos 13 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Live a good life, you people!" -Myers, old english teacher


Do you remember that first day? Do you know you saved me that day?

I was beginning my first day of high school all over again, and I was terrified. It’s one thing to begin at freshman year, but I was starting over as a junior. I came to this school, knowing that no one from my community attended it. I wasn’t expecting the reception I received, and it all started that first day with you, Lindsie.

*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*

Sitting by myself, I sheepishly gazed up and found a friendly face waving to me. Unsure, I walked over. She introduced herself to me as Lindsie, saying she had been a new student last year as a sophomore. Lindsie went on to introduce the rest of the kids at the table. At first, I was a little intimidated. She didn’t seem like the type of girl I’d really ever talk to. But I quickly changed my mind. As our schedules would have it, we had a few classes together which I was grateful for, having a familiar face.

The class we really connected with each other in was creative writing. Somehow, she and I had almost the exact same types of emotions protruding through in our writing. I realized that she really “got” the type of person I am, and I her. Many times she was the only one who really understood where I was heading with a piece. Lindsie always wrote with her emotions. I believe that it was the emotions that typed each piece of writing she wrote and not her hands. Some of the ideas and papers she came up with were some of the best I have ever heard. Lindsie is a very talented writer.

I believe that Lindsie expresses herself the most and the best through writing. I say this because for the most part she keeps to herself and is pretty quiet. She doesn’t say much and pushes through every day. Experiences that we have in common have left us both anticipating the day we leave for college.

Her expressiveness in her writing relates everything she has experienced in some way. When she reads her poems and stories she captivates me with the clarity and truth I hear. I believe every line. I haven’t known Lindsie very long to say too much and go into great details, but I know enough to call Lindsie a great friend. On a few occasions she has just listened to something I had to say and offered advice that is as truthful as her writing.
Lindsie even offered to give me a ride to the place I had to walk to after IVCC classes one day. She said, “I won’t let you walk four blocks in this weather.” It wasn’t very cold. The ride was very generous considering the short walk. Seeing as it was such a short ride, one would think it would go without incident. That was not the case. As she was pulling out she came within inches of smashing the parked car next to her, and then almost backed into the car trying to go down the road she was pulling onto. Lindsie moved the car so fast as to avoid both accidents as I prevented myself from screaming. She kept up a good composure while my heart beat so fast I started to sweat.
I’ve come to find out that she is also good under pressure. Lindsie can complete all that she has to do in the designated amount of time, and hardly needs an extension. At the same time, she has the capability to work with anyone that she is assigned to work with. Lindsie won’t put up a fuss with anything that is thrown her way whether that relates to school or home or family matters. Internally, Lindsie is one of the strongest people I have ever met. She has dealt with so much in her life. I have no idea how she does it.
Another thing I’ve come to know about Lindsie is she has an obsession with watching the German soccer team. Though, I’m not so sure it’s for the soccer aspect of the game. During a class period, I had to sit there and listen to her go on and on about the players as I typed a paper. Well, it wasn’t that bad. I was actually laughing the entire time. Lindsie became so animated when she was talking about the team it was rather comical.
Lindsie’s character and her personality, I think, reflects the type of individual she is now—both in how she presents herself and the way she looks. Sometimes someone’s personality fits their image dead on. Lindsie is one of these people. She has thick, shoulder-length, dark chocolate-colored hair which contrasts with her ivory skin, but her eyes are what make me believe her personality fit her look. Her melted caramel shaded eyes have so much emotion packed into them. Anyone could see that by looking at her. Those big brown eyes of hers could make the Tin man’s heart feel something.
When I first saw her, I thought she was a volleyball player. She had the height and build—the perfect hitter. I found out she doesn’t participate in sports but is more of a book worm—just something else we have in common. I’ve known her to read Catcher in the Rye in one night. She loves to read so much, I think she read Twilight seven or eight times. I love reading, but she has more dedication than I’ll ever have.
Lindsie’s not one of my closest friends. I don’t know her favorite color or the type of music she listens to, but despite that I know the type of person she is. She is a kind, caring and compassionate individual who would do anything to help out a friend. Lindsie has a brilliant mind and heart and can do anything she puts them to. Even if I never speak to her again, the course of my life was changed by her. I know that when I look back on my days here at Marquette, I will always remember the girl with the caramel-colored eyes and love for German soccer who gave me a ride my junior year. Lindsie has left an imprint on my heart that will never soon be forgotten.