The Things I Carry | Teen Ink

The Things I Carry

October 17, 2013
By xcrunner2015 BRONZE, Lambertville, Michigan
xcrunner2015 BRONZE, Lambertville, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Dear Asics’ Corporation,

Pure silence. I stand among hundreds of nervous athletes tensing up and awaiting the crack of the gun. A cool breeze kisses our skin and goosebumps emerge, but there is no time to think about the cold. Boom! We are off. Each of us carry one common object; our beloved shoes. It may seem strange that an ordinary pair of asics running shoes can have such an impact on my life, but they are so much more than just a pair of shoes. The blue and orange kicks have definitely seen their better days. The once vibrant colors have faded to a dullness and are encrusted with mud among other things. And they no longer have that “new shoe” smell; instead, a somewhat unpleasant aroma comes from them. Physically, they don’t even weigh a pound, but their emotional weight is heavy.

They remind me of my failures; the days where I told myself I just could not do it anymore. But more importantly they remind me of my successes. They truly have been with me every step of the way. These shoes have seen the well-manicured greens of high quality golf courses and the muddy slosh of a run-down park. Either way they always do their job of helping me be the best that I can be. When I slide my feet into them each day, I feel a sense of comfort spread through my body. As I begin my run, my legs loosen up and with each stride I grow a little stronger. I start to perspire and my heart rate steadily climbs. When I grow tired and want to quit I remember that pain is only temporary. Success is forever. With this mentality and my trusty shoes I am ready to face any challenge.

I do not know where I would be without these shoes today. They have instilled in me the importance of hard work and determination. Also, they led me to meet my second family; my team. We share a bond stronger and deeper than most teams. We have all experienced the best feeling in the world at one point or another in our careers; running a personal record. In addition, we have been through many low points. Despite the struggles I have encountered in these shoes, I would never with to put them down. Thank you for making these shoes; they have made a huge impact on my life.

Sincerely,

Katie