The Thing I Carry- My Love for Theatre | Teen Ink

The Thing I Carry- My Love for Theatre

October 17, 2013
By kass9963 BRONZE, Lambertville, Michigan
kass9963 BRONZE, Lambertville, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Dear Future Me,

What is so special about theatre curtains? They open, and they close. They hide things that aren’t meant to be seen, and they show things that aren’t meant to be hidden. At this point in my life, as I am a junior in high school, theatre curtains mean much more to me than pieces of fabric that open and close. They symbolize my theatre career. When my curtains are open, my theatre career continues. They show my love for theatre. The show goes on even behind closed curtains. My love for theatre will always be there, even if my theatre career no longer continues. My love for theatre is something that I have carried with me since I was eight years old. It is very heavy. Through theatre, I can express my emotions in ways that other people cannot. I can be free to be who I am, not fearing judgment or betrayal. The theatre is the most comfortable place in the world to me. It is where I feel a sense of belonging and where I feel at home.

I don’t know what place you are at in your life or what you are doing. I would imagine your theatre curtain is closed. If so, I want to take you back to one particular moment in your theatre career. It was the summer of 2013, and you had the honor of playing Rusty in Footloose at the River Raisin Centre for the Arts. You were so incredibly excited to play this role because it fit your personality perfectly. I’ll skip to the most exciting part of the show process, opening night.

While getting ready for the show, you look at yourself in the mirror. You can tell it is still you, but something is different. Your hair is still the same color, eyes and skin too. But your outfit is 80’s style. It is a royal blue and show white striped long-sleeve shirt paired with bright blue leggings. Your hair is as curled as a poodle with a perm and includes a huge poof on the top of your head. Not the look you would walk into school with, but then you remember; you are not Kassidy Krimmel anymore. You have transformed into Rusty.

Minutes go by and you find yourself backstage. Do you remember the feeling as you stood anxiously backstage waiting for the curtain to open? It was just moments before the opening show. You were so excited to show the hundreds of audience members how hard you worked and what you could do. It is that feeling of anxiety, nervousness, and excitement all wrapped up in one that makes the experience for you so great.

As your heart beats out of your chest, the curtain begins to open. Your theatre curtain has been open for years, but this is the first time the "Footloose" curtain is opening. This is the first time people are going to experience this show in a way that has never been seen before. You are a big part of this show, and as you get your first glimpse of the audience, you think about the countless hours of hard work you spent in rehearsals. All of your hard work and dedication has come down to this moment in time as you show the audience what you are made of. This is your time to shine.

When you step on stage, you look at the theatre before you. To the left and right are the balconies that look high they could reach the clouds. Out ahead are the hundreds of sea foam green theatre seats. Sure, some are worn down and ragged, with rips and shreds galore, but still look great to you. The countless dust bunnies, ragged seats, and stains on the carpet all symbolize memories. That is, the memories of hundreds of years of great performers and great shows that have been through that theatre. The beauty of the oldest theatre in Monroe does not decrease with time. The River Raisin theatre will always be timeless to me.

The show continues, and as you take your final bow, you know it is your moment. The audience members spring up from their seats with joy as you bow. The smile on your face is blinding as you make your way to the line of performers that bowed before me. After everyone has bowed, the performers back up and the curtain closes. Not the curtain of our theatre life, but just the curtain of that particular show. The show in your life will go on, and your curtain will continue to be open for a couple years after that.

Theatre curtains open and close to open a show and to end it. From elementary school to high school, your curtain was open. You were ready to audition and take on new roles. Even if when you read this letter, your theatre curtain is closed in your life, just know that the show goes on behind closed curtains. Your love for theatre will always be there, you just have to find a way to open the curtain again.

Sincerely,

Kassidy