The Road | Teen Ink

The Road

It was a breezy October day. The sun was out and burning strong. It was my birthday, and I was turning 13. My parents rented a cabin for us right in the middle of thick woods. I even brought a friend, Jake. Jake and I had always watched each others backs since the 3rd grade. He was a mean, lean, fighting machine. Well he wasn’t mean at all but you get the point. We were bored, but not for long.
I sat right up as the floor creaked beneath me.

“Jake, let’s go play in the woods!” I yelled.

Jake bolted up and said “Yeah, let’s get the Nerf guns!” So we grabbed our coats and our Nerf guns and raced outside until we were stopped by my mom!

“Where are you going boys?” she yelled.

“We are going to play in the woods.”

“Okay but take Genevieve with you!” she exclaimed.

“Okay fine, Mom.” Genevieve is Jake’s crazy, 4-yr old sister who always wants to play with us.
Genevieve bolted out of the cabin with joy. Her crazy curly hair bounced as she ran. Jake rolled his eyes because he was tired of her always tagging along but it was okay. She was excited to be with us.

We headed toward the woods with our Nerf guns. There was a path in the woods that we decided to follow. We were talking and walking deep into the woods. The leaves and sticks were crunching under our feet.

“Where are we going? Genevieve asked.

“We’re just following this trail for a little bit.” said Jake.

We came up to a spot in the trail where the trail divided into 2 trails. We went to the right and kept going.

“Let’s find a spot and we can set up a base camp.” I said.
We kept walking and talking along the path. It didn’t seem like a long time but Genevieve got tired of walking.

“I’m tired of walking. I want to go back to the cabin.” she said.
So Jake and I decided to take her back to the cabin but as we continued walking we came to the point where the path split into two directions.

“Which way do we go?” asked Jake.

“I think it’s this way.” I said and started to walk that direction.

“I think we need to go that way.” said Jake as he pointed in the other direction.

Genevieve started complaining that she was hungry. Now all of us wanted to be back at the cabin.

“We’re going to take you back.” Jake said.

We all went down the path that Jake had pointed to and we kept walking. But we weren’t getting closer to the cabin. It just seemed like the trail went on forever.

“I don’t think we picked the right trail.” said Jake. We were starting to get worried and Genevieve kept on complaining.

I decided to just keep following the trail. I knew that at the end of the woods was a road that we drove in on. If we could get to the road we would know how to find our way back. We walked for a long time. It felt like an eternity and we all were tired.
We finally came to the road and saw a truck pulling up. It was my dad. Our parents had been looking for us. We were happy to see him.

“Get in the truck boys.” my dad said. You could tell he was a little angry but but he was also relieved. My dad was proud that I had made a smart decision about searching for the road but it was a scary for all of us.