When death collides with time | Teen Ink

When death collides with time

By Clova PLATINUM, Miami, Florida
Clova PLATINUM, Miami, Florida

Brave, unconcerned, mocking, violent-thus wisdom wants us: she is a woman and always loves only a warrior

"Hi" she breathed into the hot summer wind.

Warm colors illuminated the sky like paint splattered on a canvas, brief clouds reminded heaven that underneath the marvelous sight was the absence of anything.

A deep blueberry shaded dress contrasted her caramel skin, hugging her torso and jetting out at the hips into a waterfall of a skirt. Short curls found their way to sun kissed shoulders and youthful bangs were clipped away from her face. Silent lips hid braces and curious eyes watched in stupefaction. The world sighed and a nostalgic breeze caressed her body, swaying the soft fabric against shaky thighs.

Dusk: the shuffle of a daily routine, working its way back home. An air of possibility and pastime danced for this brief moment. The streets were filled with families, life and light. A large park surrounded them, planes of green grass welcoming all. Children's laughter became the soft music, accompanied by the swosh and squeal of swings, playing gentling in the background. The crush and crunch of tires maneuvering over gravel and the chatter of adult gossip sang along. Specks of birds wandered through the timeless sky show, traveling with no purpose.

"Oh my" she whispered, "how lovely!"

He smiled, thin lips touched by the mere sight of this moment. Smooth skin, aged and darkened by the sun, curved and clearly outlined his muscular body. A black t-shirt hung over loose shorts, chestnut eyes gazed in hunger at the blue seams of her dress.

Bowing his head he chuckled, marveling at the sheer luck God presented him. An odd pair they were, but connected nonetheless. Such different mind frames, futures, dreams, mannerisms lived within them. But the amenity home provided was placed in their hearts, a confounding magnetic drive.

Stepping forward, he grabbed her chin. She was a force of nature, tameless and raging. Between tears and temper, soft spoken words altered his young mind forever, igniting a drive he had long since forgotten: ambition.

Gently, she removed his hand and frowned. The short curls luxuriated into soft long waves, weaving down past her breasts. Full lips parted, revealing smooth free teeth. Hazel eyes widened with grief, torment and novelty.

A ghost like smile consumed his face as he watched time age what was once his.

"Why are you colliding with my present?" she demanded, "Why am I here lingering in the past? That was then, this is now. But then is now, why are you distorting everything."

Bruises flickered across his face, blood dripped from his chest and a nightmare filled his eyes.

"NO!" she screamed, supporting his weakening body. He tightened his eyes briefly and health flourished through his veins once more.

Drying the stream of tears, he cupped her face.

"I wanted to say goodbye and you came to my mind. This was my favorite moment with you. Just watching you, timeless. For those ten seconds, the world was silenced and all I heard was peace. Those theories on death causing the past to flash by, very accurate. Past, present, future I had to thank you, cherish you, free you one last time. I do not want to taint your present, just thank you for a beautiful past" he softly said.

Her throat tightened and the world tilted; time ceased and words became meaningless. Before a conscious thought could shriek, her legs throttled into motion, propelling her forward. Running, running, running, running, running on blank pages and indistinguishable pavement.

She ran right into him. Trembling hands felt a familiar body, the sweet scent of safety, lust and adoration. Arms clasped her shuddering body, concerned kissed breathed into her soul, the terrible spin of reality slowed. The very key to her present was encoded in his fingertips. A maze of individuality presented in invisible lines. His cinnamon coffee eyes gleamed with worry.

His heart echoed hers, slowing and easing into a calm rhythmic bliss.

The present.

She stomached reality and clasped his hand. Forgiving a past love and thriving in a present one.

Coping with death.