Misconceptions About Making Mistakes | Teen Ink

Misconceptions About Making Mistakes

August 15, 2013
By shallyisshally SILVER, Savannah, Georgia
shallyisshally SILVER, Savannah, Georgia
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If God's the games that you are playing then we must get more acquainted, because it has to be so lonely to be the only one who's holy."


Today I was sitting at my family’s new desk, and we have an eraser that says in big bold letters: For big mistakes. And I thought to myself, the word mistakes in overrated. It is so over use by everybody these days, Einstein has a quote that if I recall says that a person who hasn’t made mistakes has not live. And I’m sure he doesn’t mean the “has not live” part literally. But think about it, for just ten seconds. I don’t think there anybody on earth who even as a toddler didn’t make a mistake.

Where am I going with this? In our present day society everybody feels the need to put somebody down, and then we use the excuse of “is our nature”. But in the inside we all know that this excuse is just a cover up. I want to correct the misconception that a mistake is living, because if you think it is, then you are going to want to keep reading and if you think is not then keep reading anyways. There are necessary things in life that we need to do, such as get burned to know not to play with fire.

Committing a mistake such as this is okay, because you learn. But going around and simply making somebody miserable is not okay. Now I’m going into the topic of bullying since we are already talking about the misconception of putting somebody down or committing a mistake. So when we first have a fight with a friend, we learn from it. But there are people out there that don’t learn and just keep doing it, and it has serious effects, like teen suicide. Which I personally consider a very serious topic, that I Lately find people making jokes about it.

My point is that don’t go saying you only live once and screw somebody’s mental and physical health just for the sake of your learning. Because there is a difference between making a necessary mistake and just making one and saying you only live once so let’s do it again. In conclusion nobody is perfect, to judge you, and head banging is necessary but there is a huge difference between that and our society’s definition of a mistake, believe me there could be a bridge from here to China if you want a visual explanation. Thanks for your time.