When My Grandparents Met | Teen Ink

When My Grandparents Met

By ashbay BRONZE, Austin, Texas
ashbay BRONZE, Austin, Texas

When I was younger, I lived with my grandparents, they are the ones who raised me. I mostly spent all my time at my grandmothers hip as she taught me all of the secrets of the kitchen, she was always so proud and full of excitement to teach me the Mexican ways of the kitchen, every time that we were in the kitchen she would always tell me a story of how she grew up in Mexico, or she would tell me about her family. But one story I always loved to hear was the story of how she met and fell in love with my grandfather. I used to always ask my grandmother to tell me the story of how she met my grandfather, she would always look down at me and say with a smile "You never get tired of that story?" and I would answer "No." Then she would laugh and say "Good cause I never get tired of telling it!" We would sit at the round table in the kitchen one of things she brought with her from Mexico, and begin telling the story. "When I was eighteen years old I used to work on my fathers farm, we grew broccoli,tomato's and watermelon. My father also had his own market where we would sell our produce along with other things. He would sometimes let me run the store when he needed to tend to our farm, or do other work. The road to get to the store was a dirt road and get up early and would walk to the store and run it just how my father told me to. That day I remember having a lot of people come in, but one man stood out the most your grandfather back then he was tall,dark with dark black hair and to me so handsome. I didn't give much attention to him at first till he came up to pay for his groceries, while I added up his bill he started talking to me asking me how old I was and telling me I was really pretty, then he asked if I was going to be there the next day, which I didn't know. I told him that I would and he said he would be back tomorrow. That night I went home and convinced my father to let me run the store again tomorrow he didn't protest to much, and agreed to let me run the store again. The next day your grandfather came back just like he said and we talked again and after our conversation he said he would be back the next day. I ran the store for a full month just to see your grandfather everyday and everyday he came to talk with me, one day he even walked me home. But the first time my father got a glimpse of your grandfather he was infuriated, and told me that he didn't want to see me with him again, after that he didn't let me run the store anymore. But that didn't stop me from seeing your grandfather, at night I would walk to go see him at work. Or I would go into town to go buy things for the house but I would really be going into town to go see him. When I would go see your grandfather he would always tell me that he was going to make me his wife, as soon as he got enough money we would get married and move to Texas. Eventually word got back to my father and he found out that I was going to see your grandfather he did everything he could to keep me from seeing your grandfather but I still got away and went to see your grandfather. One night while I was walking to see your grandfather I was surprised to see that your grandfather was walking to my house, despite my father hating him he still was traveling to my house to ask my father for my hand in marriage. Together we walked back up to my house and your grandfather asked my father permission to marry, but my father refused it. But that did not stop your grandfather from asking and from me saying yes." After that she would always pause because of the tears welding up in her eyes and say "I never will forget that day. We were both so happy I was happy that he asked and he was happy that I said yes, we got married soon after he asked and lived closed to my parents, after our first daughter your aunt, we left for Texas just like your grandfather always said we would." She said her father never approved of my grandfather still after there marriage, but her strong will and strong head knew that it didn't make a difference whether her father approved or not she loved my grandfather and she knew that he was the one. Being raised by my grandparents taught me a lot and has shaped me to who I am a strong headed girl, I love being told the story of how my grandparents met because it shows me to be strong willed and no matter what how hard something may be there is always a way.