When I was Samantha

I've loved nursing homes since I was little. I remember my mother bringing my sister and me with her while she worked. My sister would read to the people there and I would play games with them. Then one day an old woman yelled across the room "Samantha!" I looked cnfused so my mom pulled me aside. She explained that the woman couldn't remember much and it was getting worse by the day, but the one thing she would never forget was her granddaughter, Samantha. My mom continued telling me how she wasn't going to make it to much longer and I decided I wanted to help. From that moment on when I went with my mom to work I was Samantha. It made me feel good putting a smile on her face even though I was lying. She was so sweet and caring. I could tell she really loved Samantha. I would sit on her lap and say "I love you, Grandma" every day before we left and give her a hug. One day when the real Samantha came in I hid around a corner and just watched her to see if she would know we were two different people, she never found out. When my mom stopped working there I stopped being Samantha. I gave her one final hug, said one final "I love you" and that was that. I swore one day I'd meet the real Samantha and I will. That old lady was a big part of me, and I still find myself wondering what had happened to her. I was glad I got the chance to make someones life a little happier. Just goes to show no matter how young you are you can make a difference, even if its a small one.