The Beauty of Art | Teen Ink

The Beauty of Art

By stephylu BRONZE, Alexandria, Louisiana
stephylu BRONZE, Alexandria, Louisiana

The dynamic tunes from Chopin’s Allegro Vivace dance through the empty room after pouring out of the old CD player and circling around me as if playing a game of musical chairs. I wipe the sweat off my forehead and try to stay focused on the colors in front of me. Although the sounds so very tempt me to get up and dance with them, I, instead, dip my brush into the oils and squint with concentration as I attempt to capture feeling through detail and emotion with colors. A nearby fly rankles me with its bantering and teasing, its hum mimics that of the piano, and it waltzes through the air, synchronizing with the beat of the composition. With the development and the changing moods of the music, the emotion streaming out of me subconsciously coordinates, and my artwork, thus, shifts from one moment to the next, along with the rest of the orchestra. The suspense only builds, the work is near finished, and all the worries from my day are blocked by the thick, frequency-filled atmosphere; rather than thinking about Archimedes Principle or contemplating Einstein’s Theory of Relativity from my earlier physics class, I instead focus on the principles design and proportionality by allowing the right side of my brain take control. I hold my breath with concentration as I brush over the curve of her face and add the last details on the piece. Finally I sit back, and the sense of accomplishment rushes through my nerves as my body suddenly relaxes. I didn’t realize I’d been holding my breath for so long until, at last, I let it all out. I looked at my painting with immaculate pride, nothing could stop the satisfaction, and as the song neared its end, I began to sashay around the room, taking a large bow at the very end.

Any form of artwork inspires me—visual arts, performing arts, writing, music, etc.—anything that displays emotion through sensational manners. I love being moved by motivational and thematic art of any kind, so I wanted to do the same. This personal experience lies deep in my heart, though simple, and I hope it might affect other individuals.