Manly Figure | Teen Ink

Manly Figure

June 28, 2013
By Zoe-Alyssa GOLD, Fayetteville, North Carolina
Zoe-Alyssa GOLD, Fayetteville, North Carolina
13 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
In the summer the song sings itself.


Every girl should have the chance to have a manly figure in her life. You know the kind of man you want to go to for anything. Well that is what I'm here to talk about.
My father wasn't there as a child, so I depended heavily on my uncles, grandfather, godfather, and older cousins for "manly" advice.Due to this I learned at a very young age to no one. Unless they trust you first.
My uncles were most effective in my more early stages of life. I have always been told this story and is one of the main reasons I never want to smoke. As a child, once I learned how to walk there was no stopping me. One day when my uncles were watching me I wandered into the living and found the ash tray. The people in my house were smokers. They never smoked around me.But usually forgot to hide the ash tray. Since I ate everything in sight and didn't know what cigarettes actually were I decided to eat a few. a few hours later my uncle Tony was holding and threw up all in his lap. He didn't mind but all I remember that day was having two loving uncles.
Sadly, that happiness didn't last too long.When I was 6 years old we had a house fire. That's when my cousins came into the picture. Marc was my big teddy bear. He was honestly the only person who could make smile let along laugh. But I grew up. So did he. I never felt so alone. So I grew up with a cold heart. Not letting anyone to close to the center for I feared that they could make feel again.
That happened when I was 8 years old. I am turning 12 in August. It's June. Almost 4 years coldness, loneliness and confusion. I met my godfather just a few moments ago. He has become my new manly figure. He made me laugh. Cleared the fog and made see the point of view that everyone else has seen from me and what they expect.He has been the one who has always there. Did he do the most? No, but he never left me.
Out of all this, I learned one thing. A manly figure in your life doesn't have be there at every little moment in your life. He just has to know when you need him the most. And be there.That is a manly figure.


The author's comments:
through writing this piece I learned a lot. I hope you can truly understand what manly figure is. Sorry I can't tell you about a fatherly figure but I never had one.