Home Alone This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

The sky was pitch black, the house was creaking, and I still had four hours until my parents got home. Locked in my parents’ room, I turned on the TV full blast so I wouldn’t hear the creaking house.

I barely heard the phone ring. I picked it up and said, “Hello … hello …?” but there was no response. I knew someone was on the other end. Finally, I hung up. A minute later, the phone rang again; still no one was there. I became more frightened as time passed; the same ­person called five more times.

At this point I didn’t bother picking up, but the ringing continued. To get my mind off this prank caller, I called my friend. She told me not to worry and to turn the phone off. As we talked, I heard someone pull into the driveway. When I peeked out the window, I saw an unfamiliar car.

Thirty minutes passed and the car was still in my driveway. It drove up and down the drive as if aware I was watching. My friend told me to call the cops, but I refused.

Soon the phone calls started again. I heard noises in the background, but I couldn’t tell what they were. I really didn’t want that person to get out of the car and start toward the house. If they did, I didn’t know what I’d do. None of the doors were locked, and I would have no way of protecting myself. The only thing I could do was hide, which wasn’t a very good plan.

At this point I was considering calling the cops, but my friend offered to drive by. “Maybe if they see me pull in, they will leave,” she suggested. By the time she arrived, the car had left. The phone rang again and I picked up, thinking it might be my friend. Someone on the other end said “Bye-bye.”

At that point I wasn’t as scared as curious. Since then I have not stayed home alone and I probably never will.

Radiah said...
Apr. 10, 2011 at 7:49 am:
haha pretty mysterious. u have good writing, write more! :))

Tbug1997 said...
Apr. 9, 2011 at 8:10 am:
if this was me i wouldnt answer the phone because people can track your signal and if i saw a car in the driveway that i didnt regnioze i would throw something out the window at the car but thats just me

kaylahahahah123 replied...
Apr. 27, 2011 at 7:33 pm :
That was great you should write more stories that was very scarey

rockstardream said...
This really happened? Wow- I'd be freaked! You know, the mysterious phone calls could have been someone calling, checking of someone was there. Next time your home alone (if you have Caller ID), don't answer the phone unless its a number you recognize!

smith said...
Mar. 15, 2011 at 10:26 pm:
when i read ur stroy i felt like i was there, the feeling in my stomach it was scary good thing that wasn't me ur reaction was ok but if that was me i would have been crying and screaming....

WerewolfWriting said...
Mar. 15, 2011 at 5:37 pm:
Oh my gosh, terrifying! I can't believe this is true! Good thing you were in your parent's room! Did you have a lock on your parent's room door? :O I bet they wanted you to leave your parents room or something!! That is so scary! The moment I saw the car I would've called the cops, though. I'm a big dork so i would of been screaming at the cops to come ASAP. That happened to my best friend and she doesnt stay home anymore either. She said that her parents locked the doors and everything and she ... (more »)

DifferentTeen replied...
Jul. 28, 2011 at 9:32 pm :
thats crazy! I'm glad that shes okay, and thats a smart idea having a dead bolt that you cannot open!

Imperfectlife replied...
Oct. 21, 2011 at 10:28 pm :

Oh my god! That's scary, if it was me, I would start crying and scream or possibly call my parents.

ollt said...
Mar. 15, 2011 at 10:08 am:
scarry and you described it verry well

da "D" Man said...
Mar. 15, 2011 at 9:30 am:
Good story length and I liked your word choice.

awesome person said...
Mar. 15, 2011 at 9:20 am:
That is very scary, but why were not scared when the caller said "bye bye"? You did an excillent job at writting this piece!!!!

poptart said...
Mar. 15, 2011 at 9:13 am:
wow sounds creepy!

jojo82897 said...
Mar. 9, 2011 at 2:50 am:
OMG! That is really scary did you ever find out who it was?

WriteTheYearAway2011 said...
Feb. 25, 2011 at 10:54 pm:
thats really creepy and scary.. thank God nothing bad happened to you :)

The Z.A. Kid said...
Feb. 25, 2011 at 9:14 am:
This once happened to me but, thankfully, my doors were locked and I have a garage that needs a code.

InsaneKitten said...
Feb. 21, 2011 at 3:10 pm:
Deja vu 0.0 something like this happened to my friend except the bye bye part and instead of phone calls something bout a garage that kept opening and closing.... dangish the creeprs D:

Detective-C said...
Feb. 21, 2011 at 1:05 pm:
Oh gosh, that's creepy. I would probably had done the same. Very suspenseful, I like how you wrote it.

poundz replied...
Apr. 29, 2011 at 6:40 pm :

wow, that mustve been a terrible experience! i would have called the cops! haha but i can get acared really easily. you were really brave

cosettes_jealousy said...
Feb. 21, 2011 at 12:33 pm:
o boy......well im home alone right now and im scared XD

ama1013 said...
Feb. 18, 2011 at 8:56 pm:
that's soo creepy. i just got the chills haha