Home Alone | Teen Ink

Home Alone MAG

The sky was pitch black, the house was creaking, and I still had four hours until my parents got home. Locked in my parents’ room, I turned on the TV full blast so I wouldn’t hear the creaking house.

I barely heard the phone ring. I picked it up and said, “Hello … hello …?” but there was no response. I knew someone was on the other end. Finally, I hung up. A minute later, the phone rang again; still no one was there. I became more frightened as time passed; the same ­person called five more times.

At this point I didn’t bother picking up, but the ringing continued. To get my mind off this prank caller, I called my friend. She told me not to worry and to turn the phone off. As we talked, I heard someone pull into the driveway. When I peeked out the window, I saw an unfamiliar car.

Thirty minutes passed and the car was still in my driveway. It drove up and down the drive as if aware I was watching. My friend told me to call the cops, but I refused.

Soon the phone calls started again. I heard noises in the background, but I couldn’t tell what they were. I really didn’t want that person to get out of the car and start toward the house. If they did, I didn’t know what I’d do. None of the doors were locked, and I would have no way of protecting myself. The only thing I could do was hide, which wasn’t a very good plan.

At this point I was considering calling the cops, but my friend offered to drive by. “Maybe if they see me pull in, they will leave,” she suggested. By the time she arrived, the car had left. The phone rang again and I picked up, thinking it might be my friend. Someone on the other end said “Bye-bye.”

At that point I wasn’t as scared as curious. Since then I have not stayed home alone and I probably never will.

CandyGirl said...
ikr! i HATE staying home alone!

NinjaRizzo said...
NinjaRizzo, Easton, Pennsylvania
woah. Great story.

on Feb. 4 2012 at 10:03 am
Amyelisee BRONZE, Lake Bluff, Illinois
Wow, seriously creepy!

obsesser said...
omg, this happened to me once when i as home alone but i heard the stair creeking and the oven started beeping. I havent even been in a room alone since

on Jan. 21 2012 at 9:38 am
Just yesterday some 60-70 year old woman was at the door. I didn't look who it was right away, but I did 2 minutes later when she was there still. She was there for another 5 minutes and then she finally left (it's like -30 celsius outside so it was weird that she was there for ten minutes).

Odyesseus said...
on Jan. 17 2012 at 9:18 am
Maybe it was your friends

bubblesrfun GOLD, Muskego, Wisconsin

Be your own kind of beautiful.

Wow, I loved this story. I was home alone when I read it, and I was looking out the window constantly! :) What I loved so much about this was it was almost like a story starter. The ending is open, so you can kind of just paste yourself into the story and what you would do in this 'situation'.

Alechcim SILVER, Plano, Texas

"There's no such thing as impossible, the word itself says 'I'm possible'!" -Audrey Hepburn
"Be the change you wish to see in the world.- Ganhdi
"I have no failed, I've just found 10,000 ways that don't work." -Thomas Edison

I would never be able to stay home alone again. :0

I had a similar expirence, I looked out the window when I was home alone and big black car was infront of my house. I ws sick, and could barely move. It eventually went away...but still. 

_emilia_ SILVER, Somers Point, New Jersey

"If you're going through hell, keep going."

wow...talk about creepy

swcricket98 GOLD, Williamson, Georgia

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

This was a good piece, althought I feel it could have been longer. I also feel that because it wasn't as long the ending was sort-of abrupt when you said "At that point..." Interesting though!

ReadWriteBreathe PLATINUM, Pocatello, Idaho

"You have to consider the possibility that God does not like you" Tyler Durden Fight Club

This gave me the chills! I can't stop looking behind me. Great job!

ninja17 SILVER said...
ninja17 SILVER, Las Cruces, New Mexico

"Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who wouldn't give up on them."

I am in my room in the dark when I read this. It was so scary! Oh my you've done well. Next time you should call the cops!

:K:B) said...
on Dec. 4 2011 at 10:59 am

I loved this story but right now i very scared. you should tell your parents immedialty if you didnt and always be sure when your home alone to have a cell  phone or something to call someone in case of a danger and to lock all the doors and windows and to have something to protect your self or a plan. but the best way to be safe is too NEVER be home alone especially at night. was this story true??

Me i used to stay the night with my made and sister alone but one night a car stopped in the front of my house i loocked at it i saw a man that was staring at me in a creppy way so i called my parents they told me its your immagination. i wen to see and i saw the car empty and the door way open i was frightefid i was gonna turn crazy i called my parents and i set them the pic of the car so they came right away with the cops but when they arrived the car had lefr.

Since then i never sayed alone.

thak tou for eading

TouchOfARose SILVER, Winter Garden, Florida

"We all have ability. The difference is how we use it." -Stevie Wonder

Oh man! This was blood-chillingly amazing! This really happened?!?! I probably would have done what you did too...
You did a good job capturing your fear/curiousity in this! (: You gave me goose-bumps! ><

on Nov. 21 2011 at 5:52 am
interesting!

Dino-chan BRONZE, Wentzville, Missouri

"death cannot stop true love only delay it for a while" westly the princess bride

i wouldnt either the closest i ever came to somthing this scary is the time i was watching my sisterwhen she got home from school and waiting for my mom and we thought that we heard foot steps up staries. so i grabed one of my text books and searched upstairs no one was there though

Fangstorm_The_Vampire GOLD, Tehachapi, California

It's a bird!
It's a midget!
NO. it's...... EDWARD ELRIC.

Yeah, scary stuff..

One time my family was driving home from a movie and we saw this GIANT pickup parked straight across our front gate, and my mom honked her horn and a guy sat up in the seat fro mwhere he'd beeen LYING DOwN and he was smoking a giant cigar, and we asked what he was doing, and he said "waiting for a friend"

He drove down the road a few minutes later without waiting for his "friend."

rainbowgirl BRONZE, Ijamsville, Maryland

My work has been modified to fit your brains. :)

OH MY GOD! WOW! Scary!

that's crazy creapy but i am glad ur ok and you did an amazing job writing this peice!

Honour SILVER said...
Honour SILVER, New London, Connecticut

Greater love has no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. ~John 15:13

"Give me liberty or give me death!" ~Patrick Henry

Be brave and steadfast; have no fear or dread of them, for it is the Lord, your God, who marches with you; he will never fail you or forsake you. ~ Deuteronomy 31:6

"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery" ~ Thomas Jefferson

Did you ever find out who called and/or who was in the drive way?

I literally couldn't stop reading the passage because i was so into it! :) This is so suspensful that i wish it could be a book because if it was i wouldn't let go of it :)