Home Alone This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

The sky was pitch black, the house was creaking, and I still had four hours until my parents got home. Locked in my parents’ room, I turned on the TV full blast so I wouldn’t hear the creaking house.

I barely heard the phone ring. I picked it up and said, “Hello … hello …?” but there was no response. I knew someone was on the other end. Finally, I hung up. A minute later, the phone rang again; still no one was there. I became more frightened as time passed; the same ­person called five more times.

At this point I didn’t bother picking up, but the ringing continued. To get my mind off this prank caller, I called my friend. She told me not to worry and to turn the phone off. As we talked, I heard someone pull into the driveway. When I peeked out the window, I saw an unfamiliar car.

Thirty minutes passed and the car was still in my driveway. It drove up and down the drive as if aware I was watching. My friend told me to call the cops, but I refused.

Soon the phone calls started again. I heard noises in the background, but I couldn’t tell what they were. I really didn’t want that person to get out of the car and start toward the house. If they did, I didn’t know what I’d do. None of the doors were locked, and I would have no way of protecting myself. The only thing I could do was hide, which wasn’t a very good plan.

At this point I was considering calling the cops, but my friend offered to drive by. “Maybe if they see me pull in, they will leave,” she suggested. By the time she arrived, the car had left. The phone rang again and I picked up, thinking it might be my friend. Someone on the other end said “Bye-bye.”

At that point I wasn’t as scared as curious. Since then I have not stayed home alone and I probably never will.

pretty rimsha said...
Nov. 21, 2011 at 5:52 am
interesting!

ksaurus200 said...
i wouldnt either the closest i ever came to somthing this scary is the time i was watching my sisterwhen she got home from school and waiting for my mom and we thought that we heard foot steps up staries. so i grabed one of my text books and searched upstairs no one was there though

Fangstorm_The_Vampire said...

Yeah, scary stuff..

One time my family was driving home from a movie and we saw this GIANT pickup parked straight across our front gate, and my mom honked her horn and a guy sat up in the seat fro mwhere he'd beeen LYING DOwN and he was smoking a giant cigar, and we asked what he was doing, and he said "waiting for a friend"

He drove down the road a few minutes later without waiting for his "friend."

lrshap said...

OH MY GOD! WOW! Scary!

that's crazy creapy but i am glad ur ok and you did an amazing job writing this peice!

HonorThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Did you ever find out who called and/or who was in the drive way?

loKita :) buenita said...
I literally couldn't stop reading the passage because i was so into it! :) This is so suspensful that i wish it could be a book because if it was i wouldn't let go of it :)

TheWriterGolfer said...
That was really suspensful. I was literally at the edge of seat while reading this piece. You sure know how to attract an audience!

Pumpkinscout said...
Oh my gosh I would've been soooo scared and creeped out...

BrokenBree said...
Oh my! I would have been so scared! This totally gave me chills and I'm amazed that this was more of a thriller to me than the books I've read! Great job recreating the suspense.

zee11 said...
Oct. 23, 2011 at 10:51 am
gosh!i would have been so freaked out if it was me...by the way,you've got great writing skill ..:)

she-is-a-strange-duck said...
Wow! gave me chills! great writing, don't stop!

Imperfectlife said...
Dude, this was really dangerous! What if it turned out like this ending? Banish that thought away. Anyway, I'm glad you're safe. This writing is good, it built up suspense and I couldn't stop reading it.

Imperfectlife replied...
I meant what if it didn't turned out like this ending.

ThePeaceDaisy said...
Wow, that freaked ME out, and it didn't happen to me! I think I understand why you didn't call the cops. Maybe you were afraid if the person found out, they would try to get revenge? Anyway, Great writing!

keziahseverything said...
why didnt you call the cops that could have been seriously dangerous

zebras13 said...
Oct. 13, 2011 at 11:12 am
I love this!!

trelly-trell said...
Oct. 13, 2011 at 10:09 am

this story was alright ,it was kinda creepy but i like it!!!!!!!!!

carlya14 said...
wow seriously creepy!

C Swaqq said...
Woa , This was the best ! I was creeped. It makes me re-think about staying home alone to ! :]

Alexa Schottin said...
I really liked this! That is a very scary situation. You should be more cautious and not be so against calling for help! Keep up the writing:)