Home Alone | Teen Ink

Home Alone MAG

The sky was pitch black, the house was creaking, and I still had four hours until my parents got home. Locked in my parents’ room, I turned on the TV full blast so I wouldn’t hear the creaking house.

I barely heard the phone ring. I picked it up and said, “Hello … hello …?” but there was no response. I knew someone was on the other end. Finally, I hung up. A minute later, the phone rang again; still no one was there. I became more frightened as time passed; the same ­person called five more times.

At this point I didn’t bother picking up, but the ringing continued. To get my mind off this prank caller, I called my friend. She told me not to worry and to turn the phone off. As we talked, I heard someone pull into the driveway. When I peeked out the window, I saw an unfamiliar car.

Thirty minutes passed and the car was still in my driveway. It drove up and down the drive as if aware I was watching. My friend told me to call the cops, but I refused.

Soon the phone calls started again. I heard noises in the background, but I couldn’t tell what they were. I really didn’t want that person to get out of the car and start toward the house. If they did, I didn’t know what I’d do. None of the doors were locked, and I would have no way of protecting myself. The only thing I could do was hide, which wasn’t a very good plan.

At this point I was considering calling the cops, but my friend offered to drive by. “Maybe if they see me pull in, they will leave,” she suggested. By the time she arrived, the car had left. The phone rang again and I picked up, thinking it might be my friend. Someone on the other end said “Bye-bye.”

At that point I wasn’t as scared as curious. Since then I have not stayed home alone and I probably never will.

Pika_Princess, Escondido, California
Wow! I can't believe that actually happened. *shivers*

DreamingOutQuiet SILVER, Round Rock, Texas

"Time and the bell have buried the day,
The black cloud carries the sun away" - Elliot

Oh if life where made of moments, even now and then a bad one. Oh, if life where made of moments then we wouldn't know we had one. - Into the Woods

God, this freaks me out. I walked in on a home invasion*shiver* Really great job

neeneeboots BRONZE, Ireland, Other
This is really well written. It sent chills through me. I've never really considered reading or writing anything scary like this but I think it's a very effective angle to take and you did it really well. Well done!

b2345 said...
b2345, Stockton, California

"Persue your Dreams"

I agree .)

b2345 said...
b2345, Stockton, California

"Persue your Dreams"

Amazing,as you can see we are all scared to stay home alone, what a surreal experience.

on May. 28 2012 at 12:57 am
KateLovesMusicAndArt BRONZE, Mesa, Arizona
So, that's amazing! But now I'm scared to stay home alone!!!! D:

bluhs said...
bluhs, E, Alabama
I love non-fiction pieces and this one is one of my favorites. What a surreal experience.

on Apr. 25 2012 at 9:18 am
KennaLynn14 BRONZE, Pine Grove, Pennsylvania

One day when the world stops turning, you will come face to face with your own arch enemy, yourself!

Wow, you are a very lucky girl! Im really glad that your friend pulled in the driveway, so that he left you alone, and im really glad that your okay! If i was you in that situation, i would have been scared out of my mind!

SpecialsForLife BRONZE, Silt, Colorado

Straight Americans need... an education of the heart and soul. They must understand - to begin with - how it can feel to spend years denying your own deepest truths, to sit silently through classes, meals, and church services while people you love toss off remarks that brutalize your soul. ~Bruce Bawer, The Advocate, 28 April 1998

I  love this story! Its one of my favorites and that is really scary!

grace sewright, Carefree, Arizona
I really liked this story. I can relate to the on edge feeling of being home alone. The only complaint i have is the sotry ould be more eery if you ended with the words "bye-bye", nad not added the comment about curiosity. But i did enjoy it!

JMuglia BRONZE said...
JMuglia BRONZE, Scottsdale, Arizona
I loved this non-fiction piece! It was captivating and really kept my attention throughout the entire piece. The only thing I would change would be the last two sentences. Ending it with "Bye-bye" would be a better ending.

selenafan1 BRONZE, Freeport, Texas

" Friendship is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel it's warmth"
"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius, and it is better to be absolutley ridiculous than absolutley boring"-Marilyn Monroe

Wow really good... I think you should have ended with the bye bye line as well. It really creeped me out though makes me happy i have an alarm system haha! Please check out some of my work my page name is selenafan1 and rate and comment please. I have two poems as well as two photos that are still pending though!

on Apr. 14 2012 at 10:47 am
Writer_Jordan GOLD, Ellicott City, Maryland

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.

I stay home all the time!

Turn on a light to ward off potential burglars. Lock your doors, all of them! Close the curtains. CALL THE COPS. Just be happy that you got to write the story! Some people don't get so lucky.

TTTeeSS GOLD said...
on Apr. 14 2012 at 9:12 am
TTTeeSS GOLD, La Porte, Colorado

There is no such thing as nothing, yet there is such thing as nothing, simply because there is nothing such as nothing.

I agree. It just...ends. I don't think the conclusion was necassary though.

livelaughloveeatsoup, Lincoln, Nebraska

"If you're going through hell, keep going."
~Winston Churchill

Well-written and very interesting, but it seemed a bit anti-climatic. 

Ravenne said...
on Mar. 23 2012 at 2:37 am
Ravenne, San Diego, California
Creepy... but lacking. Some grammatical errors here and there, and overall- too leading. The plot wasn’t captivating and as it should have been and the character was shallow- more description please! The conclusion wasn’t necessary- best if ended the piece with the "bye bye" line. Consider utilizing more periodic sentences and visual imagery next time

TaurusGal GOLD said...
TaurusGal GOLD, Hong Kong, Other

Yup... It is creepy =]

dgeigs said...
on Mar. 8 2012 at 7:02 am

so good...

scared said...
on Mar. 8 2012 at 6:58 am

Such a good story!

KatsK DIAMOND said...
KatsK DIAMOND, Saint Paul, Minnesota

Being inexhaustible, life and nature are a constant stimulus for a creative mind.
~Hans Hofmann
You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
~Ray Bradbury

Yes, it is . . . or at least, it should be, as it's in the nonfiction section. I'm scared too, as right now, incidentally, I'm home alone and I thought I heard the door open, but nobody was there.