Home Alone This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

The sky was pitch black, the house was creaking, and I still had four hours until my parents got home. Locked in my parents’ room, I turned on the TV full blast so I wouldn’t hear the creaking house.

I barely heard the phone ring. I picked it up and said, “Hello … hello …?” but there was no response. I knew someone was on the other end. Finally, I hung up. A minute later, the phone rang again; still no one was there. I became more frightened as time passed; the same ­person called five more times.

At this point I didn’t bother picking up, but the ringing continued. To get my mind off this prank caller, I called my friend. She told me not to worry and to turn the phone off. As we talked, I heard someone pull into the driveway. When I peeked out the window, I saw an unfamiliar car.

Thirty minutes passed and the car was still in my driveway. It drove up and down the drive as if aware I was watching. My friend told me to call the cops, but I refused.

Soon the phone calls started again. I heard noises in the background, but I couldn’t tell what they were. I really didn’t want that person to get out of the car and start toward the house. If they did, I didn’t know what I’d do. None of the doors were locked, and I would have no way of protecting myself. The only thing I could do was hide, which wasn’t a very good plan.

At this point I was considering calling the cops, but my friend offered to drive by. “Maybe if they see me pull in, they will leave,” she suggested. By the time she arrived, the car had left. The phone rang again and I picked up, thinking it might be my friend. Someone on the other end said “Bye-bye.”

At that point I wasn’t as scared as curious. Since then I have not stayed home alone and I probably never will.

fabskiner132 said...
what a creeper it was scary not really

aidengurrl said...
Jan. 19, 2009 at 12:56 am:
I liked your story but it should have been a little longer...

aidengurrl

ashlyn z. said...
honestly i dont see how this is weird

Tenthmuse replied...
May 11, 2010 at 10:27 pm :
You don't think getting, like, 10 dead-end calls and then having a stranger's car chilling in your driveway for 30 minutes is a little wierd?

cole246 said...
this story is so good I could relate to it but it ended too short but good word sort

paco60.3 said...
the whole story i was wondering if you had protection?

justin2smoove said...
dis story iszs hot

farmgirl55 said...
Dec. 29, 2008 at 2:41 am:
I was just getting into the story and it ended. it was sort of and odd end, and a little boring, but good word usage!

sunnysall said...
Dec. 21, 2008 at 1:45 am:
I get it i would'nt want to stay home alone anymore either id be scared out of my mine

soccergirl09 said...
i dont see how its weird...

t.e.c. said...
i think it was weird but alright

J Z said...
Didn't like the ending, kind of lame but overall 2 thumbs up.

naomi said...
a bit of a lame ending init lol

R.A.B. said...
Oct. 31, 2008 at 1:51 am:
i dont get it- wut happened after the car pulled in- and y will u never stay home alone again?

ashlyn z. said...
haha its me a girl in the story and now thinking back calling the cops would have been smart but i didnt want to make it anything big

myrna said...
what i think is the boy who was at the house should call the cops and at first time he knew he was alone lock all the doors.