Home Alone | Teen Ink

Home Alone MAG

By Anonymous

The sky was pitch black, the house was creaking, and I still had four hours until my parents got home. Locked in my parents’ room, I turned on the TV full blast so I wouldn’t hear the creaking house.

I barely heard the phone ring. I picked it up and said, “Hello … hello …?” but there was no response. I knew someone was on the other end. Finally, I hung up. A minute later, the phone rang again; still no one was there. I became more frightened as time passed; the same ­person called five more times.

At this point I didn’t bother picking up, but the ringing continued. To get my mind off this prank caller, I called my friend. She told me not to worry and to turn the phone off. As we talked, I heard someone pull into the driveway. When I peeked out the window, I saw an unfamiliar car.

Thirty minutes passed and the car was still in my driveway. It drove up and down the drive as if aware I was watching. My friend told me to call the cops, but I refused.

Soon the phone calls started again. I heard noises in the background, but I couldn’t tell what they were. I really didn’t want that person to get out of the car and start toward the house. If they did, I didn’t know what I’d do. None of the doors were locked, and I would have no way of protecting myself. The only thing I could do was hide, which wasn’t a very good plan.

At this point I was considering calling the cops, but my friend offered to drive by. “Maybe if they see me pull in, they will leave,” she suggested. By the time she arrived, the car had left. The phone rang again and I picked up, thinking it might be my friend. Someone on the other end said “Bye-bye.”

At that point I wasn’t as scared as curious. Since then I have not stayed home alone and I probably never will.



Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 374 comments.


on Apr. 22 2010 at 7:56 pm
truelove4ever222 SILVER, Crosby, Texas
8 articles 2 photos 15 comments

Favorite Quote:
Daughters of jerusalem, I charge you by the does and gazelles of the field; Do not arouse or awaken love until it so desires. -Song of Songs 2:7

That was suspenseful and uber creepy.

on Apr. 20 2010 at 3:10 am
mcpanicfanic SILVER, Cincinnati, Ohio
8 articles 0 photos 65 comments
oh my god! that is terrifying. i dont know what i would do. i would faint or something if that happend to me.

on Apr. 20 2010 at 3:08 am
mcpanicfanic SILVER, Cincinnati, Ohio
8 articles 0 photos 65 comments
Whoa, that is scary. I used to be afraid to stay home alone and if that happend to me, I would freak. You are such a good writer. I read this so quickly cuz its so good.

on Apr. 19 2010 at 11:38 pm
CreativeScript PLATINUM, Port Hardy, Other
26 articles 0 photos 13 comments

SPINE-CHILLING! HEART-STOPPING!

This is good, almost scared me!

 

(


on Apr. 19 2010 at 5:39 pm
celloizmylife PLATINUM, Atlanta, Georgia
27 articles 0 photos 72 comments

Favorite Quote:
Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long.
We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious.....And curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.
-Walt Disney

oh, and after rereading some stuff, I realized that you should probably get caller ID.

on Apr. 19 2010 at 5:35 pm
RipponLeaEnergise BRONZE, Clayton, Other
1 article 4 photos 76 comments

Favorite Quote:
"how wonderful it is that nobody has to wait a single moment before starting to improve the world"

Anne Frank

wow, that was scary. i got a chill down my spine. sometyhing like that has happened to me, but unlike your experience the stranger came into my house. i didnt know who they were or wat they wanted, but they started screaming at me and i called the police. it ended up being a drunk man on medication. i never want to stay home alone again!

on Apr. 19 2010 at 5:32 pm
celloizmylife PLATINUM, Atlanta, Georgia
27 articles 0 photos 72 comments

Favorite Quote:
Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long.
We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious.....And curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.
-Walt Disney

woah, how did it repeat itself? I don't get it, but please excuse the redundency after "baseball bat?"

on Apr. 19 2010 at 5:30 pm
celloizmylife PLATINUM, Atlanta, Georgia
27 articles 0 photos 72 comments

Favorite Quote:
Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long.
We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious.....And curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.
-Walt Disney

I completely understand from experience. Nothing ever happened to me that was that creepy, but I can get just as freaked all the same. However, I overcome my fears, and find very good precautions.

 

1. Lock all the doors.

2. Keep the keys away from the door (they can break the window and unlock the door).

3. Make it seem like the whole family is home (I turn on the news really loudly, the office lamp, and the kitchen lights, but I occasionally walk through and alternate things so it doesn't seem like there's a timer).

4. If you have a good guard dog, keep it outside; if not, or you're worried for your dog's safety, keep it in and cling to it for comfort.

5. Find something that makes you feel relaxed, esp. something you can't do when you're not alone (I practice singing 'cuz I'm too self-conscious to do so when my family's around). That way, you come to enjoy your time spent home alone.

 

These are just the five steps to protect yourself before something freaky happens. Some of you may think I'm paranoid, but better safe than sorry. I don't know what to do when something scary does happen to you however... hit them with a baseball bat?


Cuore GOLD said...
on Apr. 19 2010 at 4:11 pm
Cuore GOLD, Saint Augustine, Florida
12 articles 0 photos 33 comments

Favorite Quote:
Be the change you wish to see- Ghandi

Everything in this room is eatable, even I'm eatable, but that my dears is called cannibalism and is highly frowned upon in most societies.- Willy Wonka

Bright lights often blind those who can't see. ~

OMG!!! That actually happened to you?!?!?! That is so scary. I'm glad that nothing happened to you. That was a really well written aricle.

on Apr. 19 2010 at 9:21 am
Acalleq PLATINUM, Togiak, Alaska
22 articles 5 photos 146 comments

Favorite Quote:
you never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have

whoa! i don't know what i would have done in your position. that was written perfectly. keep it up!

on Apr. 13 2010 at 7:53 pm
WonderDreamer23 BRONZE, Maplewood, Minnesota
1 article 0 photos 13 comments

Favorite Quote:
Shut Up and Live I am the most sexiest thing that happened to you and i know you know it.

R u sure thats true....................GOD im now scared shizzzzzyyy wohhhaoo

on Apr. 5 2010 at 12:31 pm
SarClark BRONZE, NC, Connecticut
2 articles 0 photos 534 comments
OHMYGOD OH MY GOD FREAKY...!!! Extremely well written, SCARY AS HECK!!!!!

Jessie123 said...
on Apr. 3 2010 at 8:03 am
Jessie123, Ann Arbor, Michigan
0 articles 0 photos 5 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Always shoot for the moon, even if you miss you'll land among the stars."

That was VERY well written!! my heart was pounding just reading it!!! it definately wont help my fear of that already though... for you, that's a good thing, meaning it was veryyy good!!!

on Mar. 28 2010 at 12:48 pm
Invaild_Kt BRONZE, Wattsburg, Pennsylvania
3 articles 1 photo 19 comments

Favorite Quote:
Theres Jello Rocks My Socks, but Pudding does it Better...... I Love you!

I've seen the movie When a Stranger Calls, so if I was you I would have been frecking out! lol. It was very well written, and I enjoyed reading it. :)

on Mar. 18 2010 at 8:48 pm
hoodiequeen14 BRONZE, Evanston, Wyoming
2 articles 0 photos 6 comments

Favorite Quote:
My favorite personal quote is " Today will only happen once, MAKE IT WORTH IT!!!"

very well written, i would have been sooo scared if that happened to me!

on Mar. 14 2010 at 10:42 am
Authorgal98 GOLD, Frankort, Illinois
17 articles 0 photos 194 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Let your mind sart a journey through a strange new world..."

This was amazing! Great writing! But, this really happened??? I would've screamed my head off. You've got a great friend.

SLC96 GOLD said...
on Mar. 6 2010 at 8:02 pm
SLC96 GOLD, McGill, Nevada
12 articles 4 photos 29 comments

Favorite Quote:
live life as if you won't see the future , laugh at yourself & your mistakes & love to the fullest.

wow that is creepy! i had an experince like that just not as bad. i am glad you could make a sacry experince into a story *scray

Ashlen BRONZE said...
on Mar. 3 2010 at 3:14 pm
Ashlen BRONZE, Gibsonville, North Carolina
3 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
your boyfriend likes you but i'm his favorite
i don't do mornings
hey yall!, was up?

thank you i thot the ending was a little cheesy but didnt want 2 b mean

on Feb. 26 2010 at 2:41 pm
edwardcullen4always SILVER, Rock Hill, South Carolina
5 articles 6 photos 57 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If you feed a man a fish you feed him for a day, but if you teach a man to fish you feed him for a lifetime."

I thought the whole thing was great. It was very short...i wish there was more :(

on Feb. 16 2010 at 3:00 pm
although i also have to agree with 400king the end was a little boring/cheesy

sorry