Home Alone This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

The sky was pitch black, the house was creaking, and I still had four hours until my parents got home. Locked in my parents’ room, I turned on the TV full blast so I wouldn’t hear the creaking house.

I barely heard the phone ring. I picked it up and said, “Hello … hello …?” but there was no response. I knew someone was on the other end. Finally, I hung up. A minute later, the phone rang again; still no one was there. I became more frightened as time passed; the same ­person called five more times.

At this point I didn’t bother picking up, but the ringing continued. To get my mind off this prank caller, I called my friend. She told me not to worry and to turn the phone off. As we talked, I heard someone pull into the driveway. When I peeked out the window, I saw an unfamiliar car.

Thirty minutes passed and the car was still in my driveway. It drove up and down the drive as if aware I was watching. My friend told me to call the cops, but I refused.

Soon the phone calls started again. I heard noises in the background, but I couldn’t tell what they were. I really didn’t want that person to get out of the car and start toward the house. If they did, I didn’t know what I’d do. None of the doors were locked, and I would have no way of protecting myself. The only thing I could do was hide, which wasn’t a very good plan.

At this point I was considering calling the cops, but my friend offered to drive by. “Maybe if they see me pull in, they will leave,” she suggested. By the time she arrived, the car had left. The phone rang again and I picked up, thinking it might be my friend. Someone on the other end said “Bye-bye.”

At that point I wasn’t as scared as curious. Since then I have not stayed home alone and I probably never will.

krazykathleen said...
Wow. I have to admit I would be very creeped out if this happened- congrats on playing it cool. You probably should have called the police and definitely have had the doors locked, though.

myworld10 replied...
Jun. 2, 2010 at 8:33 pm :
Talk about being afraid! fortunately for him, he had a friend who cared enough to go help him. good story!

Ilikecows said...
First of all - this was a very well written article. But I am very concerned about your way of dealing with the calls and unfamiliar car. You should always lock the doors when you're home alone. Always. Just in case something like this ever happens (which it did). Also, you really should have called the police. If you felt threatened, and they were there for so long, then it definitely warrented a phone call. If possible, you should have also have gotten the license plate number of... (more »)

HannahBananah said...
Apr. 24, 2010 at 11:49 am:
That is extremely creepy. Woah.

truelove4ever222 said...
That was suspenseful and uber creepy.

mcpanicfanic said...
Apr. 20, 2010 at 3:08 am:
Whoa, that is scary. I used to be afraid to stay home alone and if that happend to me, I would freak. You are such a good writer. I read this so quickly cuz its so good.

CreativeScript said...

SPINE-CHILLING! HEART-STOPPING!

This is good, almost scared me!

(

clarence said...
wow, that was scary. i got a chill down my spine. sometyhing like that has happened to me, but unlike your experience the stranger came into my house. i didnt know who they were or wat they wanted, but they started screaming at me and i called the police. it ended up being a drunk man on medication. i never want to stay home alone again!

mcpanicfanic replied...
Apr. 20, 2010 at 3:10 am :
oh my god! that is terrifying. i dont know what i would do. i would faint or something if that happend to me.

celloizmylife said...

I completely understand from experience. Nothing ever happened to me that was that creepy, but I can get just as freaked all the same. However, I overcome my fears, and find very good precautions.

1. Lock all the doors.

2. Keep the keys away from the door (they can break the window and unlock the door).

3. Make it seem like the whole family is home (I turn on the news really loudly, the office lamp, and the kitchen lights, but I occasionally walk thro... (more »)

celloizmylife replied...
Apr. 19, 2010 at 5:32 pm :
woah, how did it repeat itself? I don't get it, but please excuse the redundency after "baseball bat?"

celloizmylife replied...
Apr. 19, 2010 at 5:39 pm :
oh, and after rereading some stuff, I realized that you should probably get caller ID.

Cuore said...
OMG!!! That actually happened to you?!?!?! That is so scary. I'm glad that nothing happened to you. That was a really well written aricle.

roseann This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Apr. 19, 2010 at 9:21 am:
whoa! i don't know what i would have done in your position. that was written perfectly. keep it up!

RayRay23 said...
R u sure thats true....................GOD im now scared shizzzzzyyy wohhhaoo

Laughternchoclate said...
OHMYGOD OH MY GOD FREAKY...!!! Extremely well written, SCARY AS HECK!!!!!

Jessie123 said...
Apr. 3, 2010 at 8:03 am:
That was VERY well written!! my heart was pounding just reading it!!! it definately wont help my fear of that already though... for you, that's a good thing, meaning it was veryyy good!!!

Invaild_Kt said...
Mar. 28, 2010 at 12:48 pm:
I've seen the movie When a Stranger Calls, so if I was you I would have been frecking out! lol. It was very well written, and I enjoyed reading it. :)

hoodiequeen14 said...
Mar. 18, 2010 at 8:48 pm:
very well written, i would have been sooo scared if that happened to me!

Authorgal98 said...
Mar. 14, 2010 at 10:42 am:
This was amazing! Great writing! But, this really happened??? I would've screamed my head off. You've got a great friend.

SLC96 said...
Mar. 6, 2010 at 8:02 pm:
wow that is creepy! i had an experince like that just not as bad. i am glad you could make a sacry experince into a story *scray