Home Alone This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

The sky was pitch black, the house was creaking, and I still had four hours until my parents got home. Locked in my parents’ room, I turned on the TV full blast so I wouldn’t hear the creaking house.

I barely heard the phone ring. I picked it up and said, “Hello … hello …?” but there was no response. I knew someone was on the other end. Finally, I hung up. A minute later, the phone rang again; still no one was there. I became more frightened as time passed; the same ­person called five more times.

At this point I didn’t bother picking up, but the ringing continued. To get my mind off this prank caller, I called my friend. She told me not to worry and to turn the phone off. As we talked, I heard someone pull into the driveway. When I peeked out the window, I saw an unfamiliar car.

Thirty minutes passed and the car was still in my driveway. It drove up and down the drive as if aware I was watching. My friend told me to call the cops, but I refused.

Soon the phone calls started again. I heard noises in the background, but I couldn’t tell what they were. I really didn’t want that person to get out of the car and start toward the house. If they did, I didn’t know what I’d do. None of the doors were locked, and I would have no way of protecting myself. The only thing I could do was hide, which wasn’t a very good plan.

At this point I was considering calling the cops, but my friend offered to drive by. “Maybe if they see me pull in, they will leave,” she suggested. By the time she arrived, the car had left. The phone rang again and I picked up, thinking it might be my friend. Someone on the other end said “Bye-bye.”

At that point I wasn’t as scared as curious. Since then I have not stayed home alone and I probably never will.

amtpinkpanda said...
May 25, 2010 at 10:06 pm:
when i am home alone i lock all the doors and keep the lights on because i wacth America's most wanted and too many scary movies.but that doesnt keep my cell phone safe. someone with a restricted number called me and left a voicemail(my phone automaticaly blocks restriced) saying they watch me ,know where i live, know when i leave for school, and thats not so bad-but they mentioned my brothers all in a creepy voice. i alerted my family and called all friends to make sure it wasnt a prank call an... (more »)

_Elsy_ replied...
Jun. 24, 2010 at 11:20 pm :
creepy, i say if that happens to you again yell stalker into the phone and see what happens - if they laugh its a prank.

kyute96 said...
May 20, 2010 at 1:50 pm:
this story is sooooooo scary

PastorsKid said...
May 17, 2010 at 9:24 pm:
This would definitely scare me.I probably would've armed myself with my 500+ page biology book(let's see a burgalur get up after getting hit with that!)and hid in the nearest closet.You did really well staying calm.

Addison J. said...
May 11, 2010 at 9:10 pm:
this scared mee:(

mikky said...
May 11, 2010 at 6:04 pm:
wow this had my heat racing. i liked how you ended it with bye-bye ...very scary. keep wrigting

Rachael P. said...
May 11, 2010 at 4:20 pm:
holy crap that would scare the heck out of me!!! did you tell your parents what heppened when they got home?

IMmeandmeonlyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 5, 2010 at 10:22 pm:
something like that happened to me. except the stranger was drunk and he forced his way through the door and made a scar on my face. i was 11. it was horrific.

Blooper195This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Jul. 13, 2010 at 11:50 pm :
im so sorry.

DanceAwayThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 3, 2010 at 6:49 pm:
I would have been so scared if that happened to me. Did this really happen? It was probably some random kid pranking you.

squeak said...
May 3, 2010 at 2:58 pm:

ya i agree with the base ball bat lol XD i clunched to one being home alone for the first time in years. lol

this was a good read :D

krazykathleen said...
Wow. I have to admit I would be very creeped out if this happened- congrats on playing it cool. You probably should have called the police and definitely have had the doors locked, though.

myworld10This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Jun. 2, 2010 at 8:33 pm :
Talk about being afraid! fortunately for him, he had a friend who cared enough to go help him. good story!

Ilikecows said...
First of all - this was a very well written article. But I am very concerned about your way of dealing with the calls and unfamiliar car. You should always lock the doors when you're home alone. Always. Just in case something like this ever happens (which it did). Also, you really should have called the police. If you felt threatened, and they were there for so long, then it definitely warrented a phone call. If possible, you should have also have gotten the license plate number of... (more »)

HannahBananah said...
Apr. 24, 2010 at 11:49 am:
That is extremely creepy. Woah.

truelove4ever222 said...
That was suspenseful and uber creepy.

mcpanicfanic said...
Apr. 20, 2010 at 3:08 am:
Whoa, that is scary. I used to be afraid to stay home alone and if that happend to me, I would freak. You are such a good writer. I read this so quickly cuz its so good.

CreativeScript said...

SPINE-CHILLING! HEART-STOPPING!

This is good, almost scared me!

(

clarenceThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
wow, that was scary. i got a chill down my spine. sometyhing like that has happened to me, but unlike your experience the stranger came into my house. i didnt know who they were or wat they wanted, but they started screaming at me and i called the police. it ended up being a drunk man on medication. i never want to stay home alone again!

mcpanicfanic replied...
Apr. 20, 2010 at 3:10 am :
oh my god! that is terrifying. i dont know what i would do. i would faint or something if that happend to me.