Home Alone This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

The sky was pitch black, the house was creaking, and I still had four hours until my parents got home. Locked in my parents’ room, I turned on the TV full blast so I wouldn’t hear the creaking house.

I barely heard the phone ring. I picked it up and said, “Hello … hello …?” but there was no response. I knew someone was on the other end. Finally, I hung up. A minute later, the phone rang again; still no one was there. I became more frightened as time passed; the same ­person called five more times.

At this point I didn’t bother picking up, but the ringing continued. To get my mind off this prank caller, I called my friend. She told me not to worry and to turn the phone off. As we talked, I heard someone pull into the driveway. When I peeked out the window, I saw an unfamiliar car.

Thirty minutes passed and the car was still in my driveway. It drove up and down the drive as if aware I was watching. My friend told me to call the cops, but I refused.

Soon the phone calls started again. I heard noises in the background, but I couldn’t tell what they were. I really didn’t want that person to get out of the car and start toward the house. If they did, I didn’t know what I’d do. None of the doors were locked, and I would have no way of protecting myself. The only thing I could do was hide, which wasn’t a very good plan.

At this point I was considering calling the cops, but my friend offered to drive by. “Maybe if they see me pull in, they will leave,” she suggested. By the time she arrived, the car had left. The phone rang again and I picked up, thinking it might be my friend. Someone on the other end said “Bye-bye.”

At that point I wasn’t as scared as curious. Since then I have not stayed home alone and I probably never will.

WritingLoverForever said...
Aug. 29, 2010 at 11:17 am
Whoa, reading this sent shivers up my spine. I can understand why you don't like staying home alone after that experience. I personally love being home alone, just 'cause I love having the whole house to myself, but I'd be scared to death if I had a mysterious caller torturing me like that. Did you ever figure out who was calling you?

RavenBird replied...

I love it too, i crank up my music and sing as loud as i possibly can :) 

anyways: ditto to what you've said: shivers....

experience said...
Aug. 3, 2010 at 2:48 am
Everyone is human, when they said "Bye-Bye" they were messing with you to get inside you head. With that said, I would of done something like "that's what you think" in a devious way just scare the scarer. 

heppychick05This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I hate being home alone sometimes. my house creaks ALOT and it always freaks me out. I love this peice, it's amazing. and i was freaked out for you when i was reading this.

Macx14 said...
Jul. 20, 2010 at 8:50 am
Being home alone at night freaks me out SO much!! It's a great story with a lot of suspense even though it's not that long. Try to add a little more detail if you can. It may keep the reader involved a little more. Awesome:))

CheyGurl said...
yeah i hate being home alone 2!! i refuse to stay home alone even in day time

writingchick This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
It's really hard to grasp my attention in a story but this one did! i even leaned in on my computer. The only thing that bugged me was that i wanted more! Good job! :)

MercedesXO said...
this reminds me of when i was younger and had to stay home by myself. it was soo scary! one time i was on the floor crying and like freaking out because there was sumone in my driveway. i was about to call the cops, but didn't have the guts. and then i realized how dumb and embaressing it would have been because there WAS a cop in my driveway. idk what he was doing there, it really freaked me out. today me and one of my best friends still laugh about the time i almost called the cops on a cop..i... (more »)

lszyman96 said...
i hate staying home alone

Gabriella.MM said...
Jul. 16, 2010 at 8:49 am

Thats really scary. I get freaked out just by looking down my basement stairs when Im home alone:P

But the writing was really good to:)

MercedesXO replied...
oh my gosh same! lol. i think it's funny how we get so scared of things so easily and we live in the house and yet we're STILL afraid of our basements, or creaking floor boards or anything else. haha

Gabriella.MM replied...
Haha I know right? You would think our homes would be the safest places for us.....maybe cause my house is in the middle of a forest with a rehab up the street, and gun shots everywhere haha. I think thats reason enough to be scared:P

MercedesXO replied...
damn soo true lol

haylzebraz replied...
I can completely relate to that story! Whenever i am home alone I always lock the doors and out the tv up really loud so I can't hear the creaks of my house!

Healing_Angel said...
Jul. 16, 2010 at 1:39 am
I can relate to feeling scared about being at home on my own. If I get scared, I turn on the tv or radio for company and for some background noise. I've never had people prank call me.... luckily. It sounds scary. My friends do it to each other all the time.   

lunar_moon said...
Jul. 14, 2010 at 2:08 am
Unfortunately I feel like something like this will happen, all the time. And now I don't even feel compfortable sharing the expirience incase some phsycotic computer-whiz will track this comment and.... you know what?.... Jeez getting the creeps....

Macx14 replied...
Jul. 20, 2010 at 8:53 am
I get paranoid a lot too, but, think of it this way. In the long run, these people are human being just like anyone else; there's nothing they can do to you that you can't do to them.

lunar_moon replied...
Yeah, I always think about how I  would talk the guy out of it. It makes me feel better.

Macx14 replied...
Me too! I'm painfully uncoordinated and the only hope I would have is to talk to them and convince that what they were doing was wrong....pathetic, maybe, but that's all I got:P

teen_queen said...
Oh my gosh, I can totally relate! One time, I thought that I was home alone because my house was scary quiet and I started to watch a show called A Haunting or The Haunting and there was this super scary part and my mom came out of her room and screamed at me to put the volume down and I screamed so loud my throat was aching for the rest of the night! Hey, please check out my story, Love or Drama (It's called Love or Romance but its supposed to be called Love or Drama), also the chapter where Br... (more »)