Home Alone This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

The sky was pitch black, the house was creaking, and I still had four hours until my parents got home. Locked in my parents’ room, I turned on the TV full blast so I wouldn’t hear the creaking house.

I barely heard the phone ring. I picked it up and said, “Hello … hello …?” but there was no response. I knew someone was on the other end. Finally, I hung up. A minute later, the phone rang again; still no one was there. I became more frightened as time passed; the same ­person called five more times.

At this point I didn’t bother picking up, but the ringing continued. To get my mind off this prank caller, I called my friend. She told me not to worry and to turn the phone off. As we talked, I heard someone pull into the driveway. When I peeked out the window, I saw an unfamiliar car.

Thirty minutes passed and the car was still in my driveway. It drove up and down the drive as if aware I was watching. My friend told me to call the cops, but I refused.

Soon the phone calls started again. I heard noises in the background, but I couldn’t tell what they were. I really didn’t want that person to get out of the car and start toward the house. If they did, I didn’t know what I’d do. None of the doors were locked, and I would have no way of protecting myself. The only thing I could do was hide, which wasn’t a very good plan.

At this point I was considering calling the cops, but my friend offered to drive by. “Maybe if they see me pull in, they will leave,” she suggested. By the time she arrived, the car had left. The phone rang again and I picked up, thinking it might be my friend. Someone on the other end said “Bye-bye.”

At that point I wasn’t as scared as curious. Since then I have not stayed home alone and I probably never will.

Gabriella.MM said...
Jul. 16, 2010 at 8:49 am:

Thats really scary. I get freaked out just by looking down my basement stairs when Im home alone:P

But the writing was really good to:)

MercedesXO replied...
Jul. 16, 2010 at 8:15 pm :
oh my gosh same! lol. i think it's funny how we get so scared of things so easily and we live in the house and yet we're STILL afraid of our basements, or creaking floor boards or anything else. haha

Gabriella.MM replied...
Jul. 16, 2010 at 9:25 pm :
Haha I know right? You would think our homes would be the safest places for us.....maybe cause my house is in the middle of a forest with a rehab up the street, and gun shots everywhere haha. I think thats reason enough to be scared:P

MercedesXO replied...
Jul. 17, 2010 at 12:36 pm :
damn soo true lol

haylzebraz replied...
Oct. 13, 2010 at 6:08 pm :
I can completely relate to that story! Whenever i am home alone I always lock the doors and out the tv up really loud so I can't hear the creaks of my house!

Healing_Angel said...
Jul. 16, 2010 at 1:39 am:
I can relate to feeling scared about being at home on my own. If I get scared, I turn on the tv or radio for company and for some background noise. I've never had people prank call me.... luckily. It sounds scary. My friends do it to each other all the time.   

lunar_moon said...
Jul. 14, 2010 at 2:08 am:
Unfortunately I feel like something like this will happen, all the time. And now I don't even feel compfortable sharing the expirience incase some phsycotic computer-whiz will track this comment and.... you know what?.... Jeez getting the creeps....

Macx14 replied...
Jul. 20, 2010 at 8:53 am :
I get paranoid a lot too, but, think of it this way. In the long run, these people are human being just like anyone else; there's nothing they can do to you that you can't do to them.

lunar_moon replied...
Jul. 20, 2010 at 1:20 pm :
Yeah, I always think about how I  would talk the guy out of it. It makes me feel better.

Macx14 replied...
Jul. 20, 2010 at 10:13 pm :
Me too! I'm painfully uncoordinated and the only hope I would have is to talk to them and convince that what they were doing was wrong....pathetic, maybe, but that's all I got:P

teen_queen said...
Jul. 13, 2010 at 2:40 pm:
Oh my gosh, I can totally relate! One time, I thought that I was home alone because my house was scary quiet and I started to watch a show called A Haunting or The Haunting and there was this super scary part and my mom came out of her room and screamed at me to put the volume down and I screamed so loud my throat was aching for the rest of the night! Hey, please check out my story, Love or Drama (It's called Love or Romance but its supposed to be called Love or Drama), also the chapter where Br... (more »)

Shelly-T said...
Jul. 11, 2010 at 4:20 pm:
This was very engrossing.  I was completely captivated reading this. 

Let_It_Be said...
Jul. 9, 2010 at 7:20 pm:
WOAH!! one time i thoght my mom left but i heard noises upstaires so i grabbed a bat and went upstares looking like a ninja then my mom goes: ANNA!!!! wat r u doing??? i sed: oh, i thought u left nd sum1 was robbing ur room

teen_queen replied...
Jul. 13, 2010 at 2:41 pm :
Ahaha, my mom would've screamed if she saw me do that!

Let_It_Be replied...
Jul. 16, 2010 at 5:25 pm :
haha my mom almost did

maabeille82 said...
Jul. 2, 2010 at 12:09 pm:
This was amazing! Obviously scary, I'd probably scream if that happened to me, but you wrote it out so well!

iheartyouhhhx3 said...
Jun. 24, 2010 at 4:51 pm:
omg i would have been so scared. it kind of reminds me of when a stranger calls. but anyway good job on the writing. i could picutre everything that was going on

gurly_gurl1324 said...
Jun. 19, 2010 at 7:17 pm:
ill be super scared if i were home alone and that happened , but you did a good job

softballgirl5 said...
Jun. 5, 2010 at 2:32 pm:
oh my gosh i'd be freaked out! i would be so scared, when i stay home by myself im scared thats going 2 happen 2 me, i m scared even when my mom is just dropping my brother off at the pool. that would be freaky, u shopuld called the cops and the bye-bye part oh god i probably woulda fanted always have a big baseball bat around just in case!!

Alana H. This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 31, 2010 at 7:21 pm:
This story definately paints a picture in my mind and I can kind of relate to it. I'm not to crazy about staying home alone at night myself. I'm kinda really super paranoid so I'm definately a lock-the-door-when-I'm-alone type person.

amtpinkpandaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 25, 2010 at 10:06 pm:
when i am home alone i lock all the doors and keep the lights on because i wacth America's most wanted and too many scary movies.but that doesnt keep my cell phone safe. someone with a restricted number called me and left a voicemail(my phone automaticaly blocks restriced) saying they watch me ,know where i live, know when i leave for school, and thats not so bad-but they mentioned my brothers all in a creepy voice. i alerted my family and called all friends to make sure it wasnt a prank call an... (more »)