This I Believe | Teen Ink

This I Believe

By Zoe Choi BRONZE, Scotch Plains, New Jersey
Zoe Choi BRONZE, Scotch Plains, New Jersey

“You want something done, you’ve got to do it yourself.”
~Sebastian

As I read Sebastian's quote from the movie, “The Little Mermaid” I knew that this would be the best way to sum up my experience as an eighth grade writer. He said “You want something done, you’ve got to do it yourself.” The significance of this quote is that you have to do something if you want it complete. You can’t just wait around and think that someone will do the task for you. I chose this because in my 8th grade experience, I have had to do my own work and be responsible for the work I do. I can’t rely on teachers or peers and have them do my work while I do nothing. In my opinion, writing is not my forte, but in order to accomplish something, you have to be the person to do it.

I chose this quote because I believe that in order to achieve something, you have to be the person to make it happen. I feel that I, as a writer, need to take care of my own responsibilities to make those responsibilities done. In order to complete them, I can’t wait for people to do the actions and steps that I should be doing.

My experience as an eighth grade writer has been a challenge. The work has doubled and has gotten more demanding, but one thing that I have realized is that actions don’t get done by themselves. You have to be the only person to make things accomplished because it’s for you. On the first day of my writing workshop class, I knew from the start that I would need to be put a lot of effort in the work I do. My teacher would need to have this, this, and this assignment due on certain dates and I would need to get them done or else they would be late.

For the first writing piece I did, I had to think deeply and personally in my mind. It was an assignment that was supposed to be meaningful and important, but there was only one problem- I didn’t really want to write. When I look back, I don’t think I put as much effort in the piece than I should have. I just wanted to get it done and over. The effort I put into my piece reflected on my grade and made me realize for sure that you need to put some determination.

For all of my assignments, I needed to complete them with all of their requirements on time and completed. For one project called the “Banned Book Project”, I had to stay after school a couple of times to complete as much as possible. For that project, I had to do some research and make a website supporting my opinion on a banned book. It took a bunch of my time and effort to make it the best as it could be and I had to take responsibility and action in order to accomplish that project.

As my time ends as an eighth grade writer, I have learned many lessons, but to sum up my experience, I would say a quote would be just fine. “You want something done, you’ve got to do it yourself.”