Scavenger Hunt | Teen Ink

Scavenger Hunt

By Ackbob BRONZE, Sweet Home, Oregon
Ackbob BRONZE, Sweet Home, Oregon

Everything has a right to grow.

I enter late into a scavenger hunt teamed up with my friend, Jarid; We quickly raced ahead of three other participants, one of which didn’t even get a picture of a human; study hall ends and we are feeling like we’ll win this thing; Mrs. Almeida warns us we have until the end of break to find the last few items, or we don’t win anything; we look at the list: bee, fruit, fern; we knew right where we could find them all, so we sprinted to Mr. Snow’s room and took a picture of the slain bee; we then raided rooms and fridges in search of fruit, which we found in the fourth fridge we scavenged; we had less than two minutes left to find the illusive fern, so we marched our way all around the school, even in the offices- because Sankey Park was way too far to make it back in time- but we found every plant in existence, BUT a fern, which was very disappointing; The bell rang, so we parted ways and slugged our shame to class; as I took my sear, I looked outside the window at a beautiful, healthy fern in the corner of the breezeway garden, hidden by the pole and the door.

What inspired me about this story was probably mainly how it happened to me the day I wrote it.