It's Time | Teen Ink

It's Time

By AllisonKH GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
AllisonKH GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

Its the first day of freshman year of high school. Walking through the doors, I’m feeling terrified. All the older kids are walking around like they know the place like the back of their hands, while I’m still trying to use a map to get around. The first day of high school will forever be one of the scariest experiences in a young teenagers life.

After I walked through the doors at south campus, I knew right away that I didn’t know where I was going, or where my classes were. I felt like a lost puppy trying to find its way home.Before school started I was excited. I was moving up on the age scale, out of middle school and finally into high school. I always thought being a high schooler would come with so much more freedom, and make me feel older. But in reality, it didn’t. I felt like I was 5 years old starting school for the first time. The school was so big and full of so many new people. I was scared, but I knew eventually things would get better, and they did.

Since my freshmen year, I feel like I've grown as a person in many ways. I learned not to be scared around new people, which gave me more confidence. I learned that the school wasn’t as big as my mind put it to be, which made me more relaxed being in school. Then I learned that all the other new freshman felt the same way I did, and that helped me relate to other people. So, in the end, I learned that high school really is as good as people say it is, and to never be afraid of new things. That’s a lesson I’ll take with me to college and for the rest of my life.