Freshman Soccer | Teen Ink

Freshman Soccer

By Jesus.Ronaldo.Barajas BRONZE, Grandville, Michigan
Jesus.Ronaldo.Barajas BRONZE, Grandville, Michigan

To be honest I was nervous about trying out for my 1st year of high school soccer. I had barely even trained in the summer and wasn’t that focused on training anyways. I wasn’t really playing that good at first when we started scrimmages in the summer. I wasn’t scoring that much. After a while I got allot better. I was playing like myself a lot more and had terrific goals. After scrimmages we had conditioning. It wasn’t that bad, I got through most of it without being too tired. We would just go on runs, do drills and suicide. Man I hate suicides, so that’s how I started to get more tired. I don’t know why I thought I wasn’t ever going to be tired, but I did. I got more tired each time we had done more drills but I still tried as hard as I can with my heart beating as fast as a cheetah could run. Then we did pushups and situps which I was too tired to even try at. At the end of this they had told everybody to sit down and listen to the Varsity coach. They called the names of the people that are requested to go to the Varsity scrimmage. They didn’t call my name. I wasn't mad at all to be honest, I was just surprised they didn’t call out at least one or two freshman. So the rest of us got called to go to the freshman-sophomore scrimmage.
So we left the high school and later that night met up at Grandview to start the scrimmage. The Varsity scrimmage had just ended right when we had showed up. I was calm and focus. We split up into teams which were pretty much evenly matched. It was goal after goal with both of the teams. My good friend Lewis Hirsch was on the other team doing pretty good as the same for me with my team. We both were doing our best tricks and easily had went around the players. We also had scored plenty goals for our teams. It was a tie at the end of the scrimmage. After the coached had told us to sit down and listen to him, then told us there was a lot of good talent that they saw, and that there was barely any freshman trying out so we had to get more players for us to have a team or we would have to have a big jv tryout. So we all made the team, we just had to come up with five decent players and we did.
Our season was really fun, and since I knew most of the kids it wasn’t so bad as I thought it was going to be. We went on and only lost four times out of twelve games. I had scored 15 goals so almost every game I scored at least one goal. We had a banquet at the end of the year and that was a blast. It made us all think on how much we were going to miss soccer so much with each other. All though being on the freshman team wasn’t on my list for freshman year I still had an amazing season. I just didn’t train hard enough and condition my self in the summer. It was a good start to freshman year and a good start to get my head really serious for soccer. I have been focused on soccer all my life but I have never been more serious about it until now. Therefor I really need to step up my game and get ready for next year. With my talent I could go somewhere but without practise and training I will not be able to get better in the future. Soccer is my life and I want to become a professional soccer player one day.

This is about my 1st year of high school soccer and making the Freshman team.